Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigenfrequency analysis problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm dealing with a nano rod vibration.
I want to know the displacement of some point on the eigen mode. (0.5 L, 0.125 L, .....)
However, I found that I can't find the same value that is I will get different answer after evaluation (on all the same condition).

ex.
sol.1 : 700Hz 20um
sol.2 : 700Hz 30um

The following is the processes I did,

Study: eigenfrequency
desired number: 30

after compute

use cut point 3D set some point in the center of rod but at different L

use derived value, Point Evaluation , then change the Data set to cut point 3D

then find u, v, w

the result is that i can't find the totally consistent answer in two time~~

(I thing is not the mesh problem)

L=length of the rod.

Thank you very much.

HW

3 Replies Last Post 09.12.2015, 01:57 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 30.11.2015, 16:01 GMT-5
Hello Hung-Wei,
The magnitude of eigenmodes is arbitrary, so the pointwise values of the displacements of an eigenmode depend on the normalization used as much as anything else: they have no inherent meaning.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Hung-Wei, The magnitude of eigenmodes is arbitrary, so the pointwise values of the displacements of an eigenmode depend on the normalization used as much as anything else: they have no inherent meaning. Best, Jeff

Posted: 9 years ago 07.12.2015, 05:05 GMT-5
Hello Jeff,

Thank you so much.

But I'm still wondering that if I choose stored energy for the rod, is it arbitrary?

Thus, how to I calculate the energy transmission in a rod?

Thank you
Hello Jeff, Thank you so much. But I'm still wondering that if I choose stored energy for the rod, is it arbitrary? Thus, how to I calculate the energy transmission in a rod? Thank you

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 9 years ago 09.12.2015, 01:57 GMT-5
Hi

From my understanding, and as stated above, as Eigen mode analysis are normalized to arbitrary displacements, hence the strain levels are also arbitrary. As the Young modulus relates linear stress and strain, the Stress levels are also arbitrary. The energy stored is the integration over the domain of the stress and the displacement, so yes: for Eigen mode analysis the modal energies are also arbitrary, but are qualitatively comparable (between modes).

To get an absolute information of stored energy of a vibrating rod (or any object) you need to inject a given finite energy, have true damping included and then you can get your absolute amplitudes and energy out.
This is best done with the frequency sweep solvers, by entering a representative frequency span and a known PSD (Power Spectral Density) distribution. Here COMSOL is still a bit week as you need to tweak it a bit to get such models quickly done. Classical vibration tests and shock tests are not prepared with standard scripts, and rotational modes are more complex to identify than for older classical engineering tools, but everything (and, in fact, far more physics than in the classical tools) are built into COMSOL so its a question of time to solve and writing and doing carefully our VV&C activities.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi From my understanding, and as stated above, as Eigen mode analysis are normalized to arbitrary displacements, hence the strain levels are also arbitrary. As the Young modulus relates linear stress and strain, the Stress levels are also arbitrary. The energy stored is the integration over the domain of the stress and the displacement, so yes: for Eigen mode analysis the modal energies are also arbitrary, but are qualitatively comparable (between modes). To get an absolute information of stored energy of a vibrating rod (or any object) you need to inject a given finite energy, have true damping included and then you can get your absolute amplitudes and energy out. This is best done with the frequency sweep solvers, by entering a representative frequency span and a known PSD (Power Spectral Density) distribution. Here COMSOL is still a bit week as you need to tweak it a bit to get such models quickly done. Classical vibration tests and shock tests are not prepared with standard scripts, and rotational modes are more complex to identify than for older classical engineering tools, but everything (and, in fact, far more physics than in the classical tools) are built into COMSOL so its a question of time to solve and writing and doing carefully our VV&C activities. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.