Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to use the meshed grids as seperate domains?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

In my model, the material properties change along with every single grid. So I should try to make sure that every grid is a single domain so that I can assign a different material property. Anyboby knows how to implement that? In COMSOL or COMSOL with matlab, either is OK. Thanks in advance!

Venn WU

2 Replies Last Post 28.05.2015, 01:54 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 27.05.2015, 17:11 GMT-4
You can make the material property a function of the spatial coordinates like for a density rho = f(x,y,z). You can do that in COMSOL.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
You can make the material property a function of the spatial coordinates like for a density rho = f(x,y,z). You can do that in COMSOL. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 28.05.2015, 01:54 GMT-4
I do not need the material properties to change with the spatial coordinates, while rather change with the specific discretized element (depending on the mesh). I want the properties to change, say, the density rho as a function of the element, each element here regarded as a single domain.

I know how to assign different properties to different domains. But the problem is that here I want the deleberately treat each element as an indepent domain, to which I want to assign a different value. If I just make the material property as a function of the spatial coordinates, how to make sure that it exactly belongs to the very domain (the very element here).

I come up with an idea that I first draw the geometry with the domains, then I mesh the geometry with the elements just as the size of the domains of the geometry (each element now is corresponding to a separate domain), and under the "materal node" I create separate material nodes which are assigned to separate domains, but the work is enormous if I enlarge the meshed element, which means I have to assign hundreds or even thousands of seperate material nodes. Any simple or convenient method ? By making the material properties change with element, any function or code is capable of implementing this? Or script with matlab? Many thanks.

Venn Wu

You can make the material property a function of the spatial coordinates like for a density rho = f(x,y,z). You can do that in COMSOL.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com

I do not need the material properties to change with the spatial coordinates, while rather change with the specific discretized element (depending on the mesh). I want the properties to change, say, the density rho as a function of the element, each element here regarded as a single domain. I know how to assign different properties to different domains. But the problem is that here I want the deleberately treat each element as an indepent domain, to which I want to assign a different value. If I just make the material property as a function of the spatial coordinates, how to make sure that it exactly belongs to the very domain (the very element here). I come up with an idea that I first draw the geometry with the domains, then I mesh the geometry with the elements just as the size of the domains of the geometry (each element now is corresponding to a separate domain), and under the "materal node" I create separate material nodes which are assigned to separate domains, but the work is enormous if I enlarge the meshed element, which means I have to assign hundreds or even thousands of seperate material nodes. Any simple or convenient method ? By making the material properties change with element, any function or code is capable of implementing this? Or script with matlab? Many thanks. Venn Wu [QUOTE] You can make the material property a function of the spatial coordinates like for a density rho = f(x,y,z). You can do that in COMSOL. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE]

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.