Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Discontinuous cut-line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All
I draw a cut-line to read B-norm along it but the B-norm curve is discontinuous. I checked the cut-line and I observed that the cut-line is also discontinuous. I do not know why this happens, Any body knows the answer?
Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 10.06.2016, 14:29 GMT-4

Posted: 9 years ago 16.04.2015, 07:09 GMT-4
Hi every body
I could find the reason. I remove the tick of ''snap to the closet boundary'' in the 2D cut-line setting window. It is now OK but the question is why it should be discontinuous when it snaps to the nearest boundary.
Regards
Hamid
Hi every body I could find the reason. I remove the tick of ''snap to the closet boundary'' in the 2D cut-line setting window. It is now OK but the question is why it should be discontinuous when it snaps to the nearest boundary. Regards Hamid

Nicholas Goldring Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 09.06.2016, 16:31 GMT-4

Hi every body
I could find the reason. I remove the tick of ''snap to the closet boundary'' in the 2D cut-line setting window. It is now OK but the question is why it should be discontinuous when it snaps to the nearest boundary.
Regards
Hamid

If you've found an answer to this please let me know
[QUOTE] Hi every body I could find the reason. I remove the tick of ''snap to the closet boundary'' in the 2D cut-line setting window. It is now OK but the question is why it should be discontinuous when it snaps to the nearest boundary. Regards Hamid [/QUOTE] If you've found an answer to this please let me know

Posted: 8 years ago 10.06.2016, 07:59 GMT-4
I do not remember what I did, but if you share your model I can have a look. Try to refine the mesh, maybe it helps.
I do not remember what I did, but if you share your model I can have a look. Try to refine the mesh, maybe it helps.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 8 years ago 10.06.2016, 14:29 GMT-4
Hi

If you plot a dependent variable, in a model with second order discretization (mostly the default in many physics with COMSOL) you will get a smooth continuous "line".
But if your discretization is of first order (default for some physics) or simply you are plotting a variable that depends on the first spatial derivative of your dependent variable, then this line will have discontinuities, or will appear stair-wise/staggered. This is a feature of numerical simulations and the way things are set-up here.

Another, different issue one might have with cut lines, or planes, is that if your cut domains are discontinuous you cannot get a plot out with the default Plot settings, then you need to change the "x" scale expression from the default line "s variable" to one of the coordinate variables such as x, y or z or any expression thereof.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi If you plot a dependent variable, in a model with second order discretization (mostly the default in many physics with COMSOL) you will get a smooth continuous "line". But if your discretization is of first order (default for some physics) or simply you are plotting a variable that depends on the first spatial derivative of your dependent variable, then this line will have discontinuities, or will appear stair-wise/staggered. This is a feature of numerical simulations and the way things are set-up here. Another, different issue one might have with cut lines, or planes, is that if your cut domains are discontinuous you cannot get a plot out with the default Plot settings, then you need to change the "x" scale expression from the default line "s variable" to one of the coordinate variables such as x, y or z or any expression thereof. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.