Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

why does "Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix" means?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate Photonic crystal. As far as I know, there is no need for me to know the stiffness of material in the crystal.
However, when I click "compute", comsol always screen error message on T.T

In the model attatched, I intend to make a photonic crystal, such as 230nm thickness and square lattice structure.
Therefore, I give my boundaries Periodic bondary conditon and Scattering Boundary condition.

Anyway What is the problem with my model?

5 Replies Last Post 17.02.2015, 13:55 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.06.2013, 07:40 GMT-4
Hello,

I am facing the same problem for a 2D photonic crystal. Please let me know if you could figure out the problem.

Regards,
Aman
Hello, I am facing the same problem for a 2D photonic crystal. Please let me know if you could figure out the problem. Regards, Aman

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 27.06.2013, 08:58 GMT-4
Hi,

The "stiffness matrix" is a general concept for partial differential equations when solved numerically using the finite element method. It got its name from solid mechanics, which was one of the original applications for FEA, but it's also used in other contexts for the matrix K in the general linear equation system K*u = f.

The problem in a model with this error is likely that an undefined value like 0/0 appears in some of the stiffness matrix components, and that you run an eigenfrequency study. Check your material properties or other equation coefficients so that they are well defined; perhaps some value is unintentionally defined as zero.

Best regards,
Magnus
Hi, The "stiffness matrix" is a general concept for partial differential equations when solved numerically using the finite element method. It got its name from solid mechanics, which was one of the original applications for FEA, but it's also used in other contexts for the matrix K in the general linear equation system K*u = f. The problem in a model with this error is likely that an undefined value like 0/0 appears in some of the stiffness matrix components, and that you run an eigenfrequency study. Check your material properties or other equation coefficients so that they are well defined; perhaps some value is unintentionally defined as zero. Best regards, Magnus

Minu Prabhachandran Nair

Posted: 10 years ago 17.07.2014, 00:05 GMT-4

I'm trying to simulate Photonic crystal. As far as I know, there is no need for me to know the stiffness of material in the crystal.
However, when I click "compute", comsol always screen error message on T.T

In the model attatched, I intend to make a photonic crystal, such as 230nm thickness and square lattice structure.
Therefore, I give my boundaries Periodic bondary conditon and Scattering Boundary condition.

Anyway What is the problem with my model?

Hi,
I am also trying to simulate a photonic crystal with 220nm thickness and i am getting the same error when using eigen frequency solver.Did u fix the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution. I cjecked all boundary conditions and material parameters.But still it shows the same error.

Thanks
Minu
[QUOTE] I'm trying to simulate Photonic crystal. As far as I know, there is no need for me to know the stiffness of material in the crystal. However, when I click "compute", comsol always screen error message on T.T In the model attatched, I intend to make a photonic crystal, such as 230nm thickness and square lattice structure. Therefore, I give my boundaries Periodic bondary conditon and Scattering Boundary condition. Anyway What is the problem with my model? [/QUOTE] Hi, I am also trying to simulate a photonic crystal with 220nm thickness and i am getting the same error when using eigen frequency solver.Did u fix the problem? Can anyone suggest a solution. I cjecked all boundary conditions and material parameters.But still it shows the same error. Thanks Minu

Posted: 9 years ago 23.01.2015, 05:31 GMT-5
I also face the same problem. I changed the study from stationary to time dependent, and the problem is solved. Hope this can help you!
I also face the same problem. I changed the study from stationary to time dependent, and the problem is solved. Hope this can help you!

Posted: 9 years ago 17.02.2015, 13:55 GMT-5
Hi all,

I don't know, whether this is applicable in your specific problem, but I had a similar problem (www.comsol.com/community/forums/4-4/thread/49931), which was solved by setting the transform point in the solver configuration to the guessed eigenvalue of my problem.
I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Hannes
Hi all, I don't know, whether this is applicable in your specific problem, but I had a similar problem (http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/4-4/thread/49931), which was solved by setting the transform point in the solver configuration to the guessed eigenvalue of my problem. I hope it helps. Cheers, Hannes

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.