Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Dipole emission attenuation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am working in Ray Optics where I'm modelling the rays emitted from a point source, an electic dipole. I have modelled it as an "Release from Point" where I determined the Total Source power per unit thickness to be 1 [W/m] and the emission to be spherical. The Ray Trajectories that are created by COMSOL seems to be correct geometry wise, but I get confused when I plot gop.I in the 2D Ray Trajectory plot. The intensity drops off immediately in a uniform way around the location of the dipole. This does not make sense since the material where the dipole is located in has no complex refractive index, so the intensity should not be decreasing so suddenly. Also when the rays hit a Material Discontinuouity their intensity remains unchanged, this also is not a correct representation of reality, right? With each reflection/refraction the intensity is supposed to change.

I attached an image to show how my ray trajectory plot looks right now, any help would be appreciated!!

Best, Karima

0 Replies Last Post 30.07.2020, 12:21 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Karima Almoujy

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.