Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using lumped boundary condition for twisted cables

Andreas Erhardsberger

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi COMSOL-user,

I'm new to COMSOL. In the Tutorials I cannot find any example for the usage of the Lumped Port boundary condition as I need to (I might have missed some), so I decided to pulish my question here. I'm trying to simulate a twisted cable with two conductors (surrounded by insulators) like in the screenshot below. I want to add an alternating current with high frequency and I want to calculate the impedance of the cable and the radiation it emmits. I would prefer the transient solver if possible. Thanks for your answers in advance.

13 Replies Last Post 05.03.2019, 08:50 GMT-5
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 5 years ago 30.01.2019, 09:47 GMT-5

Andreas,

the application library example RF Module > Passive Devices > rf_coil should be a good start point for you.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Andreas, the application library example RF Module > Passive Devices > rf_coil should be a good start point for you. Cheers Edgar

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 30.01.2019, 10:20 GMT-5

Hi,

There are several example models in the COMSOL Application Libraries that make use of the Lumped Port boundary condition. If you add a Lumped Port node, you can see that its general tag is lport. If you type

@lport

in the search field at the top of the Application Libraries window and then click Search, the list of models below will be filtered to only include models that include at least one Lumped Port node. See the COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual (the "Searching the Application Libraries" section) for more information about how you can use search parameters to find models and applications that showcase some specific functionality. Also see this blog post about searching for a specific model or application .

Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Hi, There are several example models in the COMSOL Application Libraries that make use of the Lumped Port boundary condition. If you add a **Lumped Port** node, you can see that its general tag is `lport`. If you type `@lport` in the search field at the top of the **Application Libraries** window and then click **Search**, the list of models below will be filtered to only include models that include at least one **Lumped Port** node. See the *COMSOL Multiphysics Reference Manual* (the "Searching the Application Libraries" section) for more information about how you can use search parameters to find models and applications that showcase some specific functionality. Also see this blog post about [searching for a specific model or application](https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-search-for-a-specific-comsol-multiphysics-application) . Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 25.02.2019, 09:55 GMT-5
Updated: 5 years ago 25.02.2019, 09:56 GMT-5

Hi,

I now wanted to calculate the S-parameter of the structure, so I think, I have to use freqency mode. If I do so like in the tutorial rf_coil like mentioned by Mr.Kaiser LumpedPort/Uniform/Cable/on with some additional surface (see picture) I had to make to use it the same way, I see that most power is reflected back to the source and hardly anything leaves the other side of the cable (there is a second identical but passive port). The impedances of the ports are matched to the cable impedance. I think the reflections occur, because the boundary condition doesn't fit right. Although I did a lot of tutorials, I can find nothing that fits better. Please can you tell me what concrete port and what concrete setting is best, so I have no reflections at the port?

Best regards Andreas Erhardsberger

Hi, I now wanted to calculate the S-parameter of the structure, so I think, I have to use freqency mode. If I do so like in the tutorial rf_coil like mentioned by Mr.Kaiser LumpedPort/Uniform/Cable/on with some additional surface (see picture) I had to make to use it the same way, I see that most power is reflected back to the source and hardly anything leaves the other side of the cable (there is a second identical but passive port). The impedances of the ports are matched to the cable impedance. I think the reflections occur, because the boundary condition doesn't fit right. Although I did a lot of tutorials, I can find nothing that fits better. Please can you tell me what concrete port and what concrete setting is best, so I have no reflections at the port? Best regards Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 01.03.2019, 14:25 GMT-5

I have attached an example file that may help you along. I did not twist my wires as it might be worthwhile to examine the problem without so much complexity. I don't know what version of comsol you are running but I did this in the latest one. What I am doing here is an open/short connection at the end of the wires with a lumped port at the other end. You have to run two simulations (short and open for end connection) and you can get ind and capacitance, and hence, Zo = sqrt (L/C). Field plots can come once you get impedance being as expected.

Simulation was done at 10MHz, no particular reason. I would suggest getting your simulation to work with a freq domain sweep and then try transient. In order to determine impedance in transient will require FFTs so start in freq domain. Much more effort to troublsehoot in transient and since problem is linear freq domain will be easier.

I have attached an example file that may help you along. I did not twist my wires as it might be worthwhile to examine the problem without so much complexity. I don't know what version of comsol you are running but I did this in the latest one. What I am doing here is an open/short connection at the end of the wires with a lumped port at the other end. You have to run two simulations (short and open for end connection) and you can get ind and capacitance, and hence, Zo = sqrt (L/C). Field plots can come once you get impedance being as expected. Simulation was done at 10MHz, no particular reason. I would suggest getting your simulation to work with a freq domain sweep and then try transient. In order to determine impedance in transient will require FFTs so start in freq domain. Much more effort to troublsehoot in transient and since problem is linear freq domain will be easier.

Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 01:54 GMT-5
Updated: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 01:54 GMT-5

Good morning Mr Brown,

I've just noticed, that I cannot open your file. When I download it I see that it is a zip archieve. I extract it and there are only filetypes I cannot open with COMSOL.

Best Regards Andreas Erhardsberger

Good morning Mr Brown, I've just noticed, that I cannot open your file. When I download it I see that it is a zip archieve. I extract it and there are only filetypes I cannot open with COMSOL. Best Regards Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 02:39 GMT-5

Andreas, just rename it to .mph

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Andreas, just rename it to .mph

Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 02:49 GMT-5
Updated: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 03:59 GMT-5

Sorry Edgar, but what file? I see a list of 29 files.

Sorry Edgar, but what file? I see a list of 29 files.

Posted: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 05:53 GMT-5
Updated: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 05:54 GMT-5

Rename the .zip file to a .mph file. Actually Comsol model files are zip archives.

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Rename the .zip file to a .mph file. Actually Comsol model files are zip archives.

Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 06:34 GMT-5

Ok, thanks.

Ok, thanks.

Posted: 5 years ago 04.03.2019, 13:46 GMT-5

Ok, thanks.

If you do not get this to work for you, maybe I can PM the files to you directly.

dennis brown

>Ok, thanks. If you do not get this to work for you, maybe I can PM the files to you directly. dennis brown

Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 05.03.2019, 01:21 GMT-5

Hi,

no thanks it works for me now. I had just to change .zip to .mph. I am currently thinking about it.

Andreas Erhardsberger

Hi, no thanks it works for me now. I had just to change .zip to .mph. I am currently thinking about it. Andreas Erhardsberger

Andreas Erhardsberger

Posted: 5 years ago 05.03.2019, 03:19 GMT-5

Thank you. I didn't think of that way to calculate the impedance. I think it's a very efficient way in regard of computation time. I may have not said it corrctly, but I wanted to calculate the Insertion Loss of the cable for a certain lenth. So I need a second port to get a S21 Parameter. I insered it on the other side of the cable and I get I think sensible values of S11=-13dB and S21=-0.23dB, so almost no reflections. This was after I matched the port impedances to the impedance of the cable. I realize that it is very crucial to use Transition Boundary Condition here. If I use Perfect Electric Conductor on this surfaces instead, like I did before, nearly all power is reflected back to port1. Why is this the case?

Thank you. I didn't think of that way to calculate the impedance. I think it's a very efficient way in regard of computation time. I may have not said it corrctly, but I wanted to calculate the Insertion Loss of the cable for a certain lenth. So I need a second port to get a S21 Parameter. I insered it on the other side of the cable and I get I think sensible values of S11=-13dB and S21=-0.23dB, so almost no reflections. This was after I matched the port impedances to the impedance of the cable. I realize that it is very crucial to use Transition Boundary Condition here. If I use Perfect Electric Conductor on this surfaces instead, like I did before, nearly all power is reflected back to port1. Why is this the case?

Posted: 5 years ago 05.03.2019, 08:50 GMT-5

I don't know if this is going to be a satisfying answer but one guess (and really just a guess) could be numerical stability in the simulator due to having a boundary condition that is lossy. The PEC is lossless and maybe there is just some noise there corrupting the results.

>Thank you. I didn't think of that way to calculate the impedance. I think it's a very efficient way in regard of computation time. I may have not said it corrctly, but I wanted to calculate the Insertion Loss of the cable for a certain lenth. So I need a second port to get a S21 Parameter. I insered it on the other side of the cable and I get I think sensible values of S11=-13dB and S21=-0.23dB, so almost no reflections. This was after I matched the port impedances to the impedance of the cable. I realize that it is very crucial to use Transition Boundary Condition here. If I use Perfect Electric Conductor on this surfaces instead, like I did before, nearly all power is reflected back to port1. Why is this the case? I don't know if this is going to be a satisfying answer but one guess (and really just a guess) could be numerical stability in the simulator due to having a boundary condition that is lossy. The PEC is lossless and maybe there is just some noise there corrupting the results.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.