Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling ODE with changing temperature dependent material properties

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to COMSOL and have to find a solution for the following problem:

Given is a simple geometry and a gaussian laser beam runs over it once. The used material is defined by a few temperature dependent properties through analytical functions (i.e. half-time, rate constant, ...).
In addition to the heat transfer I use a global ODE. In this ODE, I want to use these temperatue dependent properties for solving. Is this even possible?

I give you an example to illustrate what I mean:

The above mentioned "half-time" is described as an analytical function, temperature in Kelvin on the x-axis, half-time in minutes on the y-axis. In my ODE, I want to make use of this half-time function to solve the ODE as the laser beam moves over my geometry (and therefore a change in temperature is happening, which in turn influences the half-time).

My approach so far was: Calling the material property function in my ODE term, so it looked something like this:

(root.comp1.mat1.def.t1_2)^(Rest of function term)

But unfortunatelly this doesn't work at all.

I hope that I described the problem sufficiently. I would really appreciate some ideas how to solve this problem. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

Best regards,
Chris

0 Replies Last Post 03.12.2015, 16:32 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chris Weiss

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.