Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Defining constraints of a trailing arm

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a question regarding setting up the constraints of a trailing arm. The trailing arm is shown in the attached picture.
I wish to define all constraints in Comsol but don't really have a clue how to go about this.
I would say that the arm rotates about the axis through the wheel hub and there is a force due to the damper and the spring. In our case the spring and damper are in the same place, so not as shown in the picture. There will also be forces in the directions in which movement is constrained.

The problem is, I don't know how translate this to Comsol boundary constraints.

Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post 19.11.2015, 08:02 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 19.11.2015, 08:02 GMT-5
Hello Gijs,
The first thing to do is check whether your license includes the Multibody Dynamics Module (www.comsol.com/multibody-dynamics-module). You'll probably need it for this project, and its Application Library contains various tutorials on how to set up analyses of articulated assemblies like yours.
To determine if your license includes a module, go to File>Licensed and Used Products.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Gijs, The first thing to do is check whether your license includes the Multibody Dynamics Module (http://www.comsol.com/multibody-dynamics-module). You'll probably need it for this project, and its Application Library contains various tutorials on how to set up analyses of articulated assemblies like yours. To determine if your license includes a module, go to File>Licensed and Used Products. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.