Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ODE equation : how to manage a variable that is physicaly bounded

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.
Here is my question.
My model implement an ODE equation on a temporal simulation.
The ophysical variable is named u :
The equation : ea*utt + da*ut =f
In my actual case, ea = 0 and da =1

As a consequence the equation becomes the very simple one : ut = f

The function f is quite complexe, depends on various variable, and its value can be very high sometimes.
The variable u corresponds to a dimensionless variable. Whatever happens, its value is always between 0 and 1.

The problem I have is the following :
The timestep of my temporal simulation is automatic and change depending on the instantaneous state.
Due to the fact that that f can has a large value and that the timestep is variable, sometimes, the ODE equation resolution induce very high value for the variable u -> u is then outside of the field [0,1] I specified before.
This is physicaly not acceptable.

How can I improve my model ?

Best regards.

0 Replies Last Post 09.10.2015, 04:58 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Didier Buzon

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.