Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Specify the magnetization direction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All:
I use AC/DC module to simulate a magnetic field system.
There are two identical permanent magnets. The upper one has its magnetization direction along x-axis.
The lower one was placed parallel to the upper one initially with M along x-axis too.
I'd like to check the induced magnetic flux density on a sensor next to the fixed upper magnet by rotating the lower magnet by every 45 degree, like 45deg, 90deg, 135deg......and so on.

It seems that it is easy to simulate 90deg, 180deg, 270deg. But for 45deg, 135deg, 225deg and 315deg, I can't change the angle for magnetization direction. Because it doesn't point simply along x-axis or y-axis.
So how to work on this problem? The file is attached with lower magnet rotated 135deg.

Thanks in advance!
Ying

2 Replies Last Post 07.10.2015, 14:40 GMT-4
Nirmal Paudel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 28.09.2015, 14:30 GMT-4
Hi,

You could model the fixed magnet with the magnetization in x-direction. But for the rotated magnetization, you could specify the magnetization as a function of angle:
Magnetization:
M-x : M_p*cos(theta)
M-y: M_p*sin(theta)
where, M_p is a peak magnetization and theta is the angle.
See the attached model file. Note that Domain 2 is where rotating magnetization is applied and theta is parameterized from 0 to 360[deg] with an interval of 45[deg].

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Nirmal Paudel
Hi, You could model the fixed magnet with the magnetization in x-direction. But for the rotated magnetization, you could specify the magnetization as a function of angle: Magnetization: M-x : M_p*cos(theta) M-y: M_p*sin(theta) where, M_p is a peak magnetization and theta is the angle. See the attached model file. Note that Domain 2 is where rotating magnetization is applied and theta is parameterized from 0 to 360[deg] with an interval of 45[deg]. Hope this helps. Best Regards, Nirmal Paudel

Posted: 9 years ago 07.10.2015, 14:40 GMT-4
Hi Nirmal:
It does help! I have woked it out. Appreciate!

Ying
Hi Nirmal: It does help! I have woked it out. Appreciate! Ying

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.