Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

effect of temperature on antenna radiation pattern

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone.

I have a Dielectric Resonator antenna. I have its radiation pattern and gain. Now I want to set dielectric block temperature to some degrees, say 50degC. And now I want to check its radiation pattern with this 50 degC temperature of dielectric. (How temperature effects on antenna radiation pattern.?) How to solve this in Comsol.? Can someone please help me.? What Physics and Study I should select.?

1 Reply Last Post 14.08.2015, 19:14 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 14.08.2015, 19:14 GMT-4
Varying the temperature of the antenna is only relevant to the antenna pattern if it affects the material's RF properties and/or geometry of the antenna. Most (not all) materials don't physically deform much at only 50 deg C as compared to room temperature, so most likely, your concern is limited to the RF properties of the dielectric. Thus, you need to find some published data on the RF properties (e.g., the dielectric constant) at the temperature(s) of interest, then simply plug those values into the material properties specified in your RF model.

Note: If, by some chance, this is an extremely narrowband (high Q) antennna, then physical deformation just may dominate, in which case you should simply adjust the geometry appropriately (and maybe the RF properties too). Now, if there is a lot of RF power applied and a resulting temperature variation across the antenna, and if you care about computing the heating and RF properties self-consistently, then you just might have a multi-physics problem after all...
Varying the temperature of the antenna is only relevant to the antenna pattern if it affects the material's RF properties and/or geometry of the antenna. Most (not all) materials don't physically deform much at only 50 deg C as compared to room temperature, so most likely, your concern is limited to the RF properties of the dielectric. Thus, you need to find some published data on the RF properties (e.g., the dielectric constant) at the temperature(s) of interest, then simply plug those values into the material properties specified in your RF model. Note: If, by some chance, this is an extremely narrowband (high Q) antennna, then physical deformation just may dominate, in which case you should simply adjust the geometry appropriately (and maybe the RF properties too). Now, if there is a lot of RF power applied and a resulting temperature variation across the antenna, and if you care about computing the heating and RF properties self-consistently, then you just might have a multi-physics problem after all...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.