Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Help with two ray coupling in the geometric optic physics

Ramiro Alejandro Yerovi Vargas

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I'm modeling an interferometer with two rays, one of 650[nm] and other with 420[nm] but one can only put one Ray Properties in the GOP, I put two Release from Grid components to generate the interference pattern but I can't control the wavelength of the components.

I tried to add a new GOP with the other Release from grid component but I can't put together the two rays to get the interference pattern in the Results.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 23.07.2015, 09:05 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 22.07.2015, 14:21 GMT-4
Hi,

I don't think it is possible to simulate an interferometer with geometrical optics. You need wave optics or RF to take interference into account.

Cheers
Edgar

Edit: I just checked the product specs of Ray Optics and they say that a phase variable can be switched on, so there may be an option. I don't have the module though, so maybe you can find that.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, I don't think it is possible to simulate an interferometer with geometrical optics. You need wave optics or RF to take interference into account. Cheers Edgar Edit: I just checked the product specs of Ray Optics and they say that a phase variable can be switched on, so there may be an option. I don't have the module though, so maybe you can find that. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 22.07.2015, 16:25 GMT-4
The Michelson Morley interferometer uses only GOP, so it is possible to create an interference pattern from that module, I did an interferometer with a beam splitter and a mirror but I need two ray beams.
The Michelson Morley interferometer uses only GOP, so it is possible to create an interference pattern from that module, I did an interferometer with a beam splitter and a mirror but I need two ray beams.

Posted: 9 years ago 22.07.2015, 16:29 GMT-4
The Michelson Morley interferometer uses only the GOP module, I did an interferometer with a beam splitter and a mirror but I need to incorporate two ray beams.
The Michelson Morley interferometer uses only the GOP module, I did an interferometer with a beam splitter and a mirror but I need to incorporate two ray beams.

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 23.07.2015, 09:05 GMT-4
Hi, in the settings for the Geometrical Optics interface, you need to check the "Allow frequency distributions at release features" checkbox in the Advanced Settings section. You can then have the initial ray frequency be a uniform, normal or lognormal distribution, or a list of values. This is set in the "Initial Ray Frequency" section of any of the features which release rays.
Hi, in the settings for the Geometrical Optics interface, you need to check the "Allow frequency distributions at release features" checkbox in the Advanced Settings section. You can then have the initial ray frequency be a uniform, normal or lognormal distribution, or a list of values. This is set in the "Initial Ray Frequency" section of any of the features which release rays.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.