Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problem in electric field analysis of outdoor glass insulator strings

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi every body. i want to study the electric field on a suspension glass insulator string. the results are not what i expected. please look at the following boundary conditions i have chosen for different parts and let me know which mistakes i have made.
1. electrostatics interface is chosen.
2. preset study is stationary.
3. boundary condition of middle caps and pins is floating potential with Q0=0.
4. space charge density and surface charge density of dielectric parts are zero.
5. the string is mounted on the height of 6m above a ground plate.
6. instead of analyzing the whole string, only three units next to the fittings side are considered.
7. the voltage of fittings side is 400/sqrt(3) kV.
8. the voltage of third cap is 185 kV.
please help me. i have no idea what are the mistakes.
thank you.
Kayahan

1 Reply Last Post 02.07.2015, 12:26 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 02.07.2015, 12:26 GMT-4
Hi Kayahan.

I'm facing this same problem when i use the 2D axisymmetric mode or a 3D model. i'm trying to analyse the voltage distribution along an insulator string too. The curious thing is: When i use a simple 2D model (I draw the geometry in a plan that contains the symmetry axis) it works pretty decent and the results are similar to what i've expected, but i need to analyse a 3D situation. I don't know why it happens and if someone could help us i would appreciate a lot.

Best Regards,

Diego Soares Lopes.
Hi Kayahan. I'm facing this same problem when i use the 2D axisymmetric mode or a 3D model. i'm trying to analyse the voltage distribution along an insulator string too. The curious thing is: When i use a simple 2D model (I draw the geometry in a plan that contains the symmetry axis) it works pretty decent and the results are similar to what i've expected, but i need to analyse a 3D situation. I don't know why it happens and if someone could help us i would appreciate a lot. Best Regards, Diego Soares Lopes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.