Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Colling of metallic cube in metallic box

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I suppose that a small cube (a = 10 cm) made of copper is located on a square surface made of steel. The cube is enclosed in a cubic box (L = 50 cm) filled with air. The top of the box is made in wood, the walls are made in iron an the bottom of the box (where is placed the small cube) is made in steel. The thickness of the box is 1 cm. The full system (cube + box) is thermally isolated from the outside.

The initial temperature of the small cube is T0 = 100°C and the initial temperature of the air in the box is Text = 50°C.

I would like to obtain the temparture of the small cube as a function of the time by taken into account the thermal transfer by convection between the cube and air, the thermal transfer between the cube and the ground (steel) on which is posed the cube and if this is possible to take into account the side effects due to the top and the sides (left and right) of the box.

How to set comsol to obtain the solution in my previous problem ? I solved the problem only when the cube floats freely in air without walls or floor.

your help will be invaluable to me.

John Baldwin (post-doct)

0 Replies Last Post 12.06.2015, 08:33 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello John Baldwin

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.