Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Toneburst signal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,

How could I create a toneburst exitation signal or a simple sinus exitation wave signal in comsol 3.5a?

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 17.01.2017, 10:55 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.07.2010, 03:56 GMT-4
Hi

you should perhaps say a little more about your need, if it's for a time analysis I understand a tone burst as a modulated sine wave function of the type a(t)*sin(2*pi*freq*t) where freq is a parameter and t the time. So long a(t) is not too steep and continuously derivable I suppose it's OK for the solver.

But you have also the harmonic development approach and get the frequency scan of the harmonic response of your system, it depends what you want to do

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you should perhaps say a little more about your need, if it's for a time analysis I understand a tone burst as a modulated sine wave function of the type a(t)*sin(2*pi*freq*t) where freq is a parameter and t the time. So long a(t) is not too steep and continuously derivable I suppose it's OK for the solver. But you have also the harmonic development approach and get the frequency scan of the harmonic response of your system, it depends what you want to do -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.07.2010, 04:29 GMT-4
hello Ivar and Thanks for your reply,

I need the toneburst or rectangualr signal for transinet analysis and I do not know how to define this exitation signal at the front edge of a simulated transducer?

hello Ivar and Thanks for your reply, I need the toneburst or rectangualr signal for transinet analysis and I do not know how to define this exitation signal at the front edge of a simulated transducer?

Posted: 8 years ago 12.02.2016, 06:10 GMT-5
Hello,

I want to simulate Toneburst signal using equation: Volts*sin(2*pi*frequency*t)*(t<duration)

Do I need any other parameters?

I am new on COMSOL so I would be grateful if some one explains me all the steps starting from building geometry to running model.

Thank you very much
Hello, I want to simulate Toneburst signal using equation: Volts*sin(2*pi*frequency*t)*(t

Posted: 8 years ago 16.01.2017, 04:53 GMT-5
an1(t)=exp(-((t-mu)^2/(2*(std^2))))*sin(2*pi*f*t)
Where t is time, f is frequency and std and mu are the parameters which decides the number of peaks. For example:
f = 50000
mu = 6.5e-5
std = 2e-5
an1(t)=exp(-((t-mu)^2/(2*(std^2))))*sin(2*pi*f*t) Where t is time, f is frequency and std and mu are the parameters which decides the number of peaks. For example: f = 50000 mu = 6.5e-5 std = 2e-5

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 years ago 17.01.2017, 10:55 GMT-5
Often one wants a toneburst that is "smooth" so that the Fourier spectrum is not too broad. A rectangular window will give Fourier components at a wide range of frequencies. There is a huge variety of smooth window functions with different properties.

My personal favorite is A*sin(2*pi*f*t)*sin(pi*f*t/n)*(t<n/f). Mostly for reasons of simplicity.

DWGreve
DWGreve Consulting
Often one wants a toneburst that is "smooth" so that the Fourier spectrum is not too broad. A rectangular window will give Fourier components at a wide range of frequencies. There is a huge variety of smooth window functions with different properties. My personal favorite is A*sin(2*pi*f*t)*sin(pi*f*t/n)*(t

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.