Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol v4: problem with dynamic help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi to all,
I'm using Comsol v4 on a workstation with Windows Xp, 64 bit version.
I have problems with the dynamic help. No result is displayed in the Help window when I ask for help.
Did anyone encounter the same problem? How to fix it?
Thanks in advance for the answer.

Alessandro

7 Replies Last Post 29.09.2010, 10:58 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.07.2010, 03:00 GMT-4
Hi Allexandro
there were sometimes some difficulties with 4.0 (much better in 4.0a), among others:

1) the compilation done the first time you turn on the help (per session) takes very long and you are blocked and must wait. (still there, but faster in 4.0a)
2) if you save with the dynamic help actve, for the same reason as above, the opening of your session took ages
3) with the updates and reinstalled your ..._/users/your_name/.comsol/ver40/... profile could get corrupted. then the easiest is to clear this profile folder and restart the programme and redefine your options etc (to be safe rename the folder first, an delete it once you are happy. you could have some user defined material data there perhaps
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Allexandro there were sometimes some difficulties with 4.0 (much better in 4.0a), among others: 1) the compilation done the first time you turn on the help (per session) takes very long and you are blocked and must wait. (still there, but faster in 4.0a) 2) if you save with the dynamic help actve, for the same reason as above, the opening of your session took ages 3) with the updates and reinstalled your ..._/users/your_name/.comsol/ver40/... profile could get corrupted. then the easiest is to clear this profile folder and restart the programme and redefine your options etc (to be safe rename the folder first, an delete it once you are happy. you could have some user defined material data there perhaps -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.07.2010, 04:04 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,
nice to meet you again, even if virtually!
I will try to delate the folder you mean and then start the program.
I will let you know!
Thanks for the answer!

Alessandro
Hi Ivar, nice to meet you again, even if virtually! I will try to delate the folder you mean and then start the program. I will let you know! Thanks for the answer! Alessandro

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.09.2010, 05:46 GMT-4
Hi Alessandro, I experience the same problem. Did you manage to solve it now ?

Regards,
Rahisham
Hi Alessandro, I experience the same problem. Did you manage to solve it now ? Regards, Rahisham

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.09.2010, 07:47 GMT-4
Hi again

I have not had this issue since I updated to 4.0.0.993 (see the web site) so check that you have the latest version.

In anycase I always turn OFF my dynamic help BEFORE I save a file, or close COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi again I have not had this issue since I updated to 4.0.0.993 (see the web site) so check that you have the latest version. In anycase I always turn OFF my dynamic help BEFORE I save a file, or close COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.09.2010, 08:01 GMT-4
there must be a browser issue too

On my mac, if I set the browser to Chrome I have blank page as well when i try to read comsol doc...
l but safari works like a charm.....

again a minor bug, probably due to standard non compliance on comsol part [ like what I reported last week, printing blank page of pdf doc from preview [again on mac] but printing fine from acrobat reader....
JF

the issue i am talking about is with" .993"
there must be a browser issue too On my mac, if I set the browser to Chrome I have blank page as well when i try to read comsol doc... l but safari works like a charm..... again a minor bug, probably due to standard non compliance on comsol part [ like what I reported last week, printing blank page of pdf doc from preview [again on mac] but printing fine from acrobat reader.... JF the issue i am talking about is with" .993"

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.09.2010, 10:18 GMT-4
Hi everybody!

I recently had a similar issue with the dynamic help function, resulting only in a "busy" cursor and COMSOL (4.0a on OpenSUSE 11.2) not responding at all - and of course no help pages ;)

Today I solved this problem by accident: in the settings dialog, I tried checking the box "preload help files" - and since I did that, the problem vanished.

May be worth a try?

Good luck!
Jens
Hi everybody! I recently had a similar issue with the dynamic help function, resulting only in a "busy" cursor and COMSOL (4.0a on OpenSUSE 11.2) not responding at all - and of course no help pages ;) Today I solved this problem by accident: in the settings dialog, I tried checking the box "preload help files" - and since I did that, the problem vanished. May be worth a try? Good luck! Jens

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.09.2010, 10:58 GMT-4
Hi

you are right, the first time you run COMSOL after a (re)installation it takes long to start because it needs to index the huge number of help files. This even jammed the 4.0 versions, but is highly improved in 4.0a. And this has been reported and workarounds have been proposed in the KB of Comsol (take a look)

My workaround: newer save nor close COMSOL with the dynamic help active, simply close the help window BEFORE closing and saving; this mostly solves the issue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you are right, the first time you run COMSOL after a (re)installation it takes long to start because it needs to index the huge number of help files. This even jammed the 4.0 versions, but is highly improved in 4.0a. And this has been reported and workarounds have been proposed in the KB of Comsol (take a look) My workaround: newer save nor close COMSOL with the dynamic help active, simply close the help window BEFORE closing and saving; this mostly solves the issue -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.