Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry building differently during Batch Sweeps than in individual simulations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

COMSOL'ers:

I have a geometry of a V-antenna which builds properly as a function of angle ("del") when simulated individually; however, when run under a batch sweep (of del) the geometry does not resolve the same way.

I open a solved batched model, and instead of a V-shaped antenna with the given axis angle, I get a shape that looks like the antennae have collapsed onto themselves. I then click on "Build All" (which uses the intended batch parameter) and the geometry then reverts to the intended shape! There are no errors, but there is a grey asterisk next to one of the transformations (Rotate) in the post-run model, as well as next to Solution 1. I have not been able to pull any other warnings/errors from the simulation.

Any thoughts why it would build properly for a single simulation but not for a batch?? Is there an issue with using [deg] and [rad] units? I have the geometry and input parameters set to [deg], but the batch converts to [rad]. Nevertheless, individual simulations will resolve [rad], so I do not think this is the issue...

-Ado

3 Replies Last Post 17.05.2016, 13:30 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Bryan Adomanis

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 8 years ago 16.05.2016, 20:13 GMT-4
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am also seeing funny behavior using a batch sweep of a geometry rotation angle. Doing a parameter sweep works as expected, but the batch sweep is as though the rotation does not occur.
Did you ever resolve this issue? I am also seeing funny behavior using a batch sweep of a geometry rotation angle. Doing a parameter sweep works as expected, but the batch sweep is as though the rotation does not occur.

Posted: 8 years ago 17.05.2016, 08:42 GMT-4
I contacted Support directly, and when they ran my parametrized batch sweep they did not encounter the same problem, so their solution was to upgrade (I was at 5.0, they were at 5.1.0.145).

They also suggested to stop using the Parameter Units in Batch Sweep mode. They supplied a modification to my model that showed a method of doing so, but I do not currently have access to my COMSOL workstation in order to attach it, nor do I recall what changes they made.

Unfortunately, I also cannot recall if either of these resolved the problem. At the time, I simply skipped running Batch Sweep mode and just did Parameter Sweeps over several different open instances of COMSOL, which allowed me to still make use of parallel processing. This fixed my problem, and so I probably just kept running with this solution.

Sorry I could not be more help...good luck!
I contacted Support directly, and when they ran my parametrized batch sweep they did not encounter the same problem, so their solution was to upgrade (I was at 5.0, they were at 5.1.0.145). They also suggested to stop using the Parameter Units in Batch Sweep mode. They supplied a modification to my model that showed a method of doing so, but I do not currently have access to my COMSOL workstation in order to attach it, nor do I recall what changes they made. Unfortunately, I also cannot recall if either of these resolved the problem. At the time, I simply skipped running Batch Sweep mode and just did Parameter Sweeps over several different open instances of COMSOL, which allowed me to still make use of parallel processing. This fixed my problem, and so I probably just kept running with this solution. Sorry I could not be more help...good luck!

Posted: 8 years ago 17.05.2016, 13:30 GMT-4
Thanks for the reply. I found a work around: I define the angle parameter in terms of a second parameter that is unit-less. Doing a batch sweep on the second parameter seems to work.

I've raised this again with support so hopefully it will be taken care of. I'm on version 5.2.
Thanks for the reply. I found a work around: I define the angle parameter in terms of a second parameter that is unit-less. Doing a batch sweep on the second parameter seems to work. I've raised this again with support so hopefully it will be taken care of. I'm on version 5.2.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.