Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

fail to import data from csv file

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear colleagues,

I have some trouble loading data from a cvs file using the interpolation function. My file has 4 columns. First three columns are arguments (x,y,t) and the last one is the value of the physical quantity.

But when I try to import the file, an error message says : internal error in meshing initialization.

I attached the file here.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thx

5 Replies Last Post 30.04.2015, 16:44 GMT-4
Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 04:02 GMT-4
Dear Yuankang,

As mentioned in the other thread on this subject:
www.comsol.nl/community/forums/general/thread/47735/

You need to make sure that the axis are in the same "order" because COMSOL maps the points to a grid.
You need to multiply your time column with 1e9, so that the values are in ns.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Yuankang, As mentioned in the other thread on this subject: https://www.comsol.nl/community/forums/general/thread/47735/ You need to make sure that the axis are in the same "order" because COMSOL maps the points to a grid. You need to multiply your time column with 1e9, so that the values are in ns. Best regards, Frank

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 08:40 GMT-4

You need to make sure that the axis are in the same "order" because COMSOL maps the points to a grid.

This used to be true a couple of versions ago, but this requirement has been lifted - the data is scaled internally if necessary.

The most common reason for the error message is that the point set is singular. E.g., for a function of 3 arguments, the point set consists of points that all lie on a line or plane. Multiphysics' interpolation function code can't handle that.
[QUOTE] You need to make sure that the axis are in the same "order" because COMSOL maps the points to a grid. [/QUOTE] This used to be true a couple of versions ago, but this requirement has been lifted - the data is scaled internally if necessary. The most common reason for the error message is that the point set is singular. E.g., for a function of 3 arguments, the point set consists of points that all lie on a line or plane. Multiphysics' interpolation function code can't handle that.

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 10:53 GMT-4
Dear Gunnar,

I did see some thread explaining the singulartiy of the set can be a problem when importing the data.
But in my case, all the points don't lie on a plan (If you go down to my data set, you ll see my third argument change).

I did what Frank suggested: multiple the third argument by 1e9 to make sure all the arguments are in the same or at least similar order. It works. It seems COMSOL hasn't lifted this requirement yet :(

Now I will try to use this three-argment function to set time and space dependent boudanry conditions.
Thank you guys for your help!

YK
Dear Gunnar, I did see some thread explaining the singulartiy of the set can be a problem when importing the data. But in my case, all the points don't lie on a plan (If you go down to my data set, you ll see my third argument change). I did what Frank suggested: multiple the third argument by 1e9 to make sure all the arguments are in the same or at least similar order. It works. It seems COMSOL hasn't lifted this requirement yet :( Now I will try to use this three-argment function to set time and space dependent boudanry conditions. Thank you guys for your help! YK

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 16:36 GMT-4
It appears there's a hole in the data, near the point, at t = 1.2e-8

It appears there's a hole in the data, near the point, at t = 1.2e-8

Posted: 9 years ago 30.04.2015, 16:44 GMT-4
Oh really?
However I imported the data successfully. I ll check that. :0
Oh really? However I imported the data successfully. I ll check that. :0

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.