Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Injection flow into Microfluidic Device

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi-

I'm pretty new at comsol. I am trying to model a simple microfluidic device with a center well for injection that flows out into 8 wells evenly spaced around the center like a star. What I am having trouble with is modelling the injection, such that you have a short burst of flow from the center and then it stops. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

5 Replies Last Post 28.04.2015, 10:01 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 9 years ago 17.04.2015, 10:40 GMT-4
Hi Taylor,

If you provide specific details on the trouble you are facing it’s more likely that someone from the Forum can help. One general advice I have is to ramp up then ramp down the inlet flow (vs. time) at the center well, instead of applying a perfect square wave.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Taylor, If you provide specific details on the trouble you are facing it’s more likely that someone from the Forum can help. One general advice I have is to ramp up then ramp down the inlet flow (vs. time) at the center well, instead of applying a perfect square wave. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 17.04.2015, 10:41 GMT-4
Hi Taylor,

If you provide specific details on the trouble you are facing it’s more likely that someone from the Forum can help. One general advice I have is to ramp up then ramp down the inlet flow (vs. time) at the center well, instead of applying a perfect square wave.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Taylor, If you provide specific details on the trouble you are facing it’s more likely that someone from the Forum can help. One general advice I have is to ramp up then ramp down the inlet flow (vs. time) at the center well, instead of applying a perfect square wave. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 17.04.2015, 12:14 GMT-4
Hi-

I honestly don't know where to start. How do you apply a square wave or any sort of time dependent flow function?

Taylor
Hi- I honestly don't know where to start. How do you apply a square wave or any sort of time dependent flow function? Taylor

Posted: 9 years ago 17.04.2015, 16:25 GMT-4
Hi Taylor,

If you’re not familiar enough with using COMSOL Multiphysics I suggest you attend one their training courses or workshops: www.comsol.com/events/?location=2&type%5B%5D=course&type%5B%5D=event&sort=start_date&language=English. You can also go through some of the models in their Model Gallery.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Taylor, If you’re not familiar enough with using COMSOL Multiphysics I suggest you attend one their training courses or workshops: https://www.comsol.com/events/?location=2&type%5B%5D=course&type%5B%5D=event&sort=start_date&language=English. You can also go through some of the models in their Model Gallery. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 9 years ago 28.04.2015, 10:01 GMT-4
I understand the basics of comsol and have a working model for continuous flow, I just don't know where to input a time dependent flow, which is what I am asking for.
I understand the basics of comsol and have a working model for continuous flow, I just don't know where to input a time dependent flow, which is what I am asking for.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.