Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

thermal stress resulting from fabrication process

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm trying to model the thermal stresses post-fabrication. I've followed this model:

www.comsol.com/model/thermal-stresses-in-a-layered-plate-273

My file simulates but I question the validity of the results. There appears to be no stress gradient within the stack at the center of the structure. The only domain which shows considerable variation of stress with location is the surrounding cube and the 2 bottom most domain inside the cube. I'm wondering if the simulation ran properly. It seems like the domains that have a variation of stress with the location are all simulated within the first step of the simulation. I wonder if COMSOL is treating this step differently somehow.

Also I'm wondering if from the example above I should substitute the initial stresses with (for e.g.)

solid.sx solid.sxy solid.sxz
solid.sxy solid. sy solid.syz
solid.sxz solid.syz solid.sz

instead of

solid.sx solid.sxy 0
solid.sxy solid. sy 0
0 0 solid.sz

I don't see why in the example they used the latter instead of the former.

Please help. Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 08.04.2015, 02:50 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago 08.04.2015, 02:50 GMT-4
Maybe I should have elaborated a bit. The fabrication process I'm simulating consists of a series of deposition steps of the various domains at various temperatures followed by changing the temperature to the deposition temperature of the next deposition step, and so forth.

So the first step would be the deposition of domains 19 and 20, the temperature is then raised from 523 K to 723 K at which point domain 14 is deposited, after which the temperature is lowered from 723 K to 573 K for the subsequent deposition, and so on...
Maybe I should have elaborated a bit. The fabrication process I'm simulating consists of a series of deposition steps of the various domains at various temperatures followed by changing the temperature to the deposition temperature of the next deposition step, and so forth. So the first step would be the deposition of domains 19 and 20, the temperature is then raised from 523 K to 723 K at which point domain 14 is deposited, after which the temperature is lowered from 723 K to 573 K for the subsequent deposition, and so on...

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.