Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Instanteneous Jump of Temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, COMSOL community.

I model the heating of solid (time dependent task). The heating is instaneous. I.e. heat spreads through the solid without any sources but in several (point-like) moments temperature jumps. The description of the heat source is possible only by these temperature jumps. The description by the common way - by the heat power density - is impossible due to physical limitations.
So, the scheme of the heating is:
1. Initial instanteneous temperature jump at t=0
2. Free heat spreading during the time from t=0 to t1
3. Instanteneous temperature jump at t=t1
4. Free heat spreading during the time from t=t1 to t2
and so on

So, the question is: how I can include temperature jumps into the model?
I could assume 2 possible ways:
- using separate steps (Step) for every time interval (0,t1), (t1,t2)
- or using several Heat Transfer in Solids Interfase (Physics) for every time interval (0,t1), (t1,t2)
where initial conditions for Step/Physics are results from previous Step/Physics.
If these are right assumptions, could anybody tell me the way to transfer the data from one Step/Physics to another?
Or, may be, there is any simple way?

2 Replies Last Post 17.12.2015, 06:46 GMT-5

Posted: 9 years ago 26.03.2015, 17:10 GMT-4
__Solved__
__Solved__

Posted: 9 years ago 17.12.2015, 06:46 GMT-5
hi, Antonio
i have the same problem and i am wondering how did you solve this problem. would you please tell me how to solve it? And another problem is the jump of the dependent variable might bring some trouble with the convergence such as singularity, how could i avoid it?
hi, Antonio i have the same problem and i am wondering how did you solve this problem. would you please tell me how to solve it? And another problem is the jump of the dependent variable might bring some trouble with the convergence such as singularity, how could i avoid it?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.