Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric material in Water Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to build a 3-D PZT 5H cube and put it in water and simulate it to get the impedance vs. frequency. I could build the PZT cube, but found trouble to put it in water.

I am adding a sphere around the PZT cube, but there is always a meshing problem I don't know how to solve.

Could anyone help me on this project?

Thanks in advance!

Miao

6 Replies Last Post 12.06.2015, 16:36 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 9 years ago 16.03.2015, 19:28 GMT-4
Miao,

there might be a chance to help you if you either specify your problem in a more detailed way or (better) upload your model. Clear meshes and solutions to keep it small enough.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Miao, there might be a chance to help you if you either specify your problem in a more detailed way or (better) upload your model. Clear meshes and solutions to keep it small enough. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 17.03.2015, 11:30 GMT-4
Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your reply. I have attached my model.

Thank you very much in advance and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

Miao

Miao,

there might be a chance to help you if you either specify your problem in a more detailed way or (better) upload your model. Clear meshes and solutions to keep it small enough.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com

Hi Edgar, Thanks for your reply. I have attached my model. Thank you very much in advance and please let me know if you have any questions. Best, Miao [QUOTE] Miao, there might be a chance to help you if you either specify your problem in a more detailed way or (better) upload your model. Clear meshes and solutions to keep it small enough. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com [/QUOTE]

Posted: 9 years ago 18.03.2015, 05:15 GMT-4
Hi Miao,

I meshed your model with default settings and didn't see any problem.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hi Miao, I meshed your model with default settings and didn't see any problem. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 18.03.2015, 10:14 GMT-4
Hi Edgar,

Could you explain briefly how you meshed the model? I am learning to use COMSOL

Thanks,

Miao
Hi Edgar, Could you explain briefly how you meshed the model? I am learning to use COMSOL Thanks, Miao

Posted: 9 years ago 18.03.2015, 10:39 GMT-4

Choose the Mesh tab in the menu bar and click Add Mesh. There are many options of course, but the default setting already generates a mesh. Now you can play with element sizes, shapes, structured mesh options, etc. Meshing is a wide field. You will have to invest some time in playing with the options.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Choose the Mesh tab in the menu bar and click Add Mesh. There are many options of course, but the default setting already generates a mesh. Now you can play with element sizes, shapes, structured mesh options, etc. Meshing is a wide field. You will have to invest some time in playing with the options. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 9 years ago 12.06.2015, 16:36 GMT-4
Hi Edgar,

I am able to get the impedance plot now, but if I put the PZT in air, I can get a clean and nice plot, but if I put PZT in water the impedance plots, both real and imaginary are very noisy. Do you have any ideas why this is happening?

I created a small PZT and put it into a larger block with water. Defined the top surface as terminal with voltage of 1V and bottom surface as ground. Gave the damping loss as 1/Qm=0.013 and dielectric loss of 0.02. ran the simulation and added a 1D plot group, then plotted the real impedance by expression as real(1/acpz.Y11) and the imaginary part as imag(1/acpz.Y11).

Do you see any problem with my method?

Thank you very much for your help.

Miao
Hi Edgar, I am able to get the impedance plot now, but if I put the PZT in air, I can get a clean and nice plot, but if I put PZT in water the impedance plots, both real and imaginary are very noisy. Do you have any ideas why this is happening? I created a small PZT and put it into a larger block with water. Defined the top surface as terminal with voltage of 1V and bottom surface as ground. Gave the damping loss as 1/Qm=0.013 and dielectric loss of 0.02. ran the simulation and added a 1D plot group, then plotted the real impedance by expression as real(1/acpz.Y11) and the imaginary part as imag(1/acpz.Y11). Do you see any problem with my method? Thank you very much for your help. Miao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.