Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with an import file

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am trying to import a CAD data from a parasolid (.x_t) file, created with Solidworks. But Comsol recognizes all the geometry as one face and when I want to coerce it to a solid, I have the error 2127 'Unsupported operation on this type of object'. This error is not explained in the Reference Guide, is there somebody who has an explanation ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regard,

Anne-Sophie

3 Replies Last Post 28.04.2010, 05:47 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.04.2010, 01:06 GMT-4
Hi

Have you checked the scale and repair variable in the file import "option" menu (side by side with the open button). By default when importing files the repair variable is set to 10um, but if you geometry has smaller features, they will be deleted (or Comsol will do an attempt to delete them that might dammage the topology too) end result not what you want.

This is the only "surprise" I have had with parasolid import, and it happes mainly when you are importing mems type geoemtries.

Note this variable (different from the other "repair" tolerance in the draw menu, is reset to 10E-5 at each new start of Comsol

hope this helps
Ivar
Hi Have you checked the scale and repair variable in the file import "option" menu (side by side with the open button). By default when importing files the repair variable is set to 10um, but if you geometry has smaller features, they will be deleted (or Comsol will do an attempt to delete them that might dammage the topology too) end result not what you want. This is the only "surprise" I have had with parasolid import, and it happes mainly when you are importing mems type geoemtries. Note this variable (different from the other "repair" tolerance in the draw menu, is reset to 10E-5 at each new start of Comsol hope this helps Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.04.2010, 04:51 GMT-4
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
I have changed the tolerance in the file import options and I have something better, even if my geometry is not a mems one (a face which does not exist in Solidworks have been created in Comsol but now it does not appear).
However, I have always a face and I cannot convert it to a solid. If I try to "knit faces and fill gaps" (like in the CAD import module user's guide), I have the error 3041 "The operation resulted in an invalid geometry". Do you know what I can also try to convert it ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Anne-Sophie
Hi, Thanks for your answer. I have changed the tolerance in the file import options and I have something better, even if my geometry is not a mems one (a face which does not exist in Solidworks have been created in Comsol but now it does not appear). However, I have always a face and I cannot convert it to a solid. If I try to "knit faces and fill gaps" (like in the CAD import module user's guide), I have the error 3041 "The operation resulted in an invalid geometry". Do you know what I can also try to convert it ? Thanks in advance. Best regards, Anne-Sophie

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.04.2010, 05:47 GMT-4
Hi

I cannot remember I have encountered such issues, but perhaps if you are importing "thin" Solidwork features, while Comsol expects true 3D. If your model is not too complex you can select imported parts in COMSOL and "split" them into surfaces and/or lines, but its not always obvious to recreate the volumes thereafter (works mostly fine in 2D).

really check that you do not have very small gaps, or some odd volumes, an try via solidworks and or parasolid (my preferred) file formats, all depends on the options you have available

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I cannot remember I have encountered such issues, but perhaps if you are importing "thin" Solidwork features, while Comsol expects true 3D. If your model is not too complex you can select imported parts in COMSOL and "split" them into surfaces and/or lines, but its not always obvious to recreate the volumes thereafter (works mostly fine in 2D). really check that you do not have very small gaps, or some odd volumes, an try via solidworks and or parasolid (my preferred) file formats, all depends on the options you have available Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.