Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem about the reference edge for circular coil energization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am right now researching the air-core inductance for two concentric coils. I tried to energize the outter coil with current and globally integrate the magnetic energy, then divide the energy with current we get the air-core inductance. Problem occurs on the current load. It is told there are three default coil types, say linear,circular and numerical. In this case I choose the circular coil type, and needs a reference edge to define the path of current. The modle has two edges, say inner and outter, both of them offer same current value and distribution, but the final inductances have nearly 20% difference. I attach the figures below to make it clear.

So, I want to know which edge should I choose to make the simulation more reliable.

4 Replies Last Post 26.10.2016, 01:50 GMT-4
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago 10.11.2014, 15:21 GMT-5
Qiong,

Both choices are incorrect since your coil is not circular. You need to use Numeric coil type and add additional Coil Current Calculation study step.

Regards,
Sergei

Qiong, Both choices are incorrect since your coil is not circular. You need to use Numeric coil type and add additional Coil Current Calculation study step. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 8 years ago 25.10.2016, 01:41 GMT-4
I am calculating the magnetic field generated by a Thick Circular Coil with rectangular cross section. For multi-turn coil, there is some error in measuring the magnetic field when first i chose inner reference edge and secondly the outer reference edge.
Can you please explain what is the correct choice of reference edge in this case. Thanks
I am calculating the magnetic field generated by a Thick Circular Coil with rectangular cross section. For multi-turn coil, there is some error in measuring the magnetic field when first i chose inner reference edge and secondly the outer reference edge. Can you please explain what is the correct choice of reference edge in this case. Thanks

Posted: 8 years ago 25.10.2016, 02:41 GMT-4
The edge chosen will be used as a "mean diameter" for your coil for the purpose of calculating the coil resistance, so you will get different answers depending on which edge you choose. You should construct your coil so that there is an edge at the midway diameter between inner and outer.

Mark
The edge chosen will be used as a "mean diameter" for your coil for the purpose of calculating the coil resistance, so you will get different answers depending on which edge you choose. You should construct your coil so that there is an edge at the midway diameter between inner and outer. Mark

Posted: 8 years ago 26.10.2016, 01:50 GMT-4
Thank You MortalWombat for your valuable clarification.
Thank You MortalWombat for your valuable clarification.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.