Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

calculating average shear stress on a surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm building a model for a biological reactor, and I'm trying to calculate the mean shear stress being applied on the cells by the medium flow. The cells are considered to be round shaped (3D). How can i calculate the mean shear stress on all the surface of the cell?
Thanks allot
Hemi

1 Reply Last Post 25.04.2010, 12:30 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.04.2010, 12:30 GMT-4
Hi

which is your problem ?: 1) decide which stress contribution to use or 2) how to get the average over a surface.

Because for me 2) is easy, once you know the formula of 1) (but for that I'm not sure what to propose)

basically you select the surface(s) you make two integration coupling variable on the selected boundaries, the first is Area = 1, you integrate 1 to get the total area, then your stress variable name = your formula / Area. By dividing the integration of your value over the selected area, by this area you get the average value.

But I leave it to you to decide which combination of the stress tensor you want to use.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi which is your problem ?: 1) decide which stress contribution to use or 2) how to get the average over a surface. Because for me 2) is easy, once you know the formula of 1) (but for that I'm not sure what to propose) basically you select the surface(s) you make two integration coupling variable on the selected boundaries, the first is Area = 1, you integrate 1 to get the total area, then your stress variable name = your formula / Area. By dividing the integration of your value over the selected area, by this area you get the average value. But I leave it to you to decide which combination of the stress tensor you want to use. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.