Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to give length as a function of time in time dependent analysis?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm using comsol 4.3b. I want make the length of my block as a function of time. How to make length as a function and time as variable? Someone please help me with this problem. I'm struggling a lot..

1 Reply Last Post 26.09.2014, 07:42 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 26.09.2014, 07:42 GMT-4
Hi, Saranya,
There are several threads about this. You can dynamically change your geometry by means of Moving Mesh (ALE) or by Deformed Geometry. The difference between them appears in documentation. Basically, the former conserves the material, so I think your best option is Deformed Geometry. The piece you are going to change should have a 'Prescribed Deformation' node active on domain, or else you can just set it to 'Free Deformation' and set the deformation of the boundary. You can use the variables Xg, Yg, Zg to relate deformations to original coordinates. That way, your geometry can depend just on time, as you want, or on some other variable.
Regards,
Jesus.
Hi, Saranya, There are several threads about this. You can dynamically change your geometry by means of Moving Mesh (ALE) or by Deformed Geometry. The difference between them appears in documentation. Basically, the former conserves the material, so I think your best option is Deformed Geometry. The piece you are going to change should have a 'Prescribed Deformation' node active on domain, or else you can just set it to 'Free Deformation' and set the deformation of the boundary. You can use the variables Xg, Yg, Zg to relate deformations to original coordinates. That way, your geometry can depend just on time, as you want, or on some other variable. Regards, Jesus.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.