Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multibody dynamics simulation error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I tryed to perform multybody dynamics simulation and faced "Feature 'rd1' does not support model inputs.
Error in multiphysics compilation." error. I followed procedure in the video presented on this site step by step, but faced this error. What can be the problem?

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 26.09.2014, 07:36 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 25.09.2014, 08:53 GMT-4
Hi,

From the information you supply, it is possible to make a guess:

'rd1' is a Rigid Domain (the first one in the model).

As a Rigid Domain has only one material property (the mass density), it sounds like the mass density is not a constant, but rather that it depends on something else, like temperature. For reasons of mass conservation, the mass density should be constant, so such dependencies are not supported.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, From the information you supply, it is possible to make a guess: 'rd1' is a Rigid Domain (the first one in the model). As a Rigid Domain has only one material property (the mass density), it sounds like the mass density is not a constant, but rather that it depends on something else, like temperature. For reasons of mass conservation, the mass density should be constant, so such dependencies are not supported. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 10 years ago 25.09.2014, 09:27 GMT-4
Hello,

Exactly! I also figured out that it works with structural steel, but doesn't work with Titanium, which has dependent properties. Is there a way to make it work with Titanium? Exept than selecting constant density?

Thanks!
Hello, Exactly! I also figured out that it works with structural steel, but doesn't work with Titanium, which has dependent properties. Is there a way to make it work with Titanium? Exept than selecting constant density? Thanks!

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago 25.09.2014, 16:26 GMT-4
Hi,

There is currently no way in which you can feed a temperature to the material from the Rigid Domain. You must type in the density as a constant, either in the material, or directly in the settings for the Rigid Domain.

Using a fixed temperature in a temperature dependent density would make sense, even though a variable temperature is unphysical. We will consider implemening such a functionality.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, There is currently no way in which you can feed a temperature to the material from the Rigid Domain. You must type in the density as a constant, either in the material, or directly in the settings for the Rigid Domain. Using a fixed temperature in a temperature dependent density would make sense, even though a variable temperature is unphysical. We will consider implemening such a functionality. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 10 years ago 26.09.2014, 07:36 GMT-4
Thanks a lot for your help!
One more question. I'm trying to make the heat transfer simulation simultaniously with rigid body dynamics. Basicly I want to see a heat distribution on fixed workpiece while tool(with heat source on it) is rotating. Is it possible to do?
I found that results of simulations can be plotted seperately (in figure I can see just displacement), but I couldn't find simultaneous result option(to see temperature distribution while rotation).
Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Ali
Thanks a lot for your help! One more question. I'm trying to make the heat transfer simulation simultaniously with rigid body dynamics. Basicly I want to see a heat distribution on fixed workpiece while tool(with heat source on it) is rotating. Is it possible to do? I found that results of simulations can be plotted seperately (in figure I can see just displacement), but I couldn't find simultaneous result option(to see temperature distribution while rotation). Thanks in advance! Regards, Ali

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.