Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about Scatterer on Substrate Example

Mohammad Parvinnezhad Hokmabadi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I have a question about scatterer on substrate example.
The Structure is simple: a metal scatterer on Si substrate.
Since I have just seen that scattering, absorption, and extinction cross sections are calculated for scatterer, is it meaningful to calculate reflection in this structure? We have experimentally measured reflection from our sample. So, I need to calculate reflection by simulation to compare results.
I calculate reflection just by defining a surface in front of structure and integrate the pointing vector to get power flow and I subtract it from incident power to get reflected power and then I divide the reflected power over incident power to get reflection.
when I do not have scatterer it works fine. It shows exactly the reflection calculated by Fresnel equation for Air-Si interface. I also tried putting SiO2 and still without scatterer, it works fine again and results matche well to results by Transfer Matrix Method (TMM).
But, when I put scatterer on Si or even on SiO2 it does not show any change in reflection spectrum while we observe resonance in experiment. By looking at electric field profile I can see the interaction of light with scatterer and I can see a dipole on it, but no resonance in reflection.
I tried this structure both by putting Fresnel formula as my background field and also by using two step study method. Both results are same and do not show any resonance in reflection.
So now I am thinking that maybe the way I am calculating the reflection is not right since scatterer may scatter light toward side PML boundary and I can not collect and integrate them in the defined surface in front of structure. Another thing that I am thinking of is this: maybe the experimental results are wrong.
I appreciate if you guys share your experience with me.

Thanks,
Mohammad

1 Reply Last Post 08.09.2016, 17:56 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mohammad Parvinnezhad Hokmabadi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago 08.09.2016, 17:56 GMT-4
Hi Mohammed,

Did you solve the problem? I would be glad to know how did you solve it.

Thanks,
Radwan
Hi Mohammed, Did you solve the problem? I would be glad to know how did you solve it. Thanks, Radwan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.