Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3d elastic material volume average strain problem

Andreas Emmanouil Tzatzanis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have a 3d elastic cube. I apply a boundary load (all boundaries) to the x direction.
Also a fixed constraint condition is applied.
Is it possible to make the volume average strain in the direction x non zero and
the volume average in the xz direction zero?

Thanks in advance

5 Replies Last Post 28.05.2014, 07:26 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.05.2014, 06:52 GMT-4
Hi Andreas,

With strain in th xz direction you mean shear deformation? So there can be shear deformation, but the average of this value throughout your cube should be zero?
Hi Andreas, With strain in th xz direction you mean shear deformation? So there can be shear deformation, but the average of this value throughout your cube should be zero?

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.05.2014, 06:59 GMT-4

Hi Andreas,

With strain in th xz direction you mean shear deformation? So there can be shear deformation, but the average of this value throughout your cube should be zero?

Hi again and thanks for your answer

Well i am not sure i need a shear deformation.
I really can't imagine how is this possible.
But yes i need the average volume strain in both xz and xy zero.

Thanks in advance

[QUOTE] Hi Andreas, With strain in th xz direction you mean shear deformation? So there can be shear deformation, but the average of this value throughout your cube should be zero? [/QUOTE] Hi again and thanks for your answer Well i am not sure i need a shear deformation. I really can't imagine how is this possible. But yes i need the average volume strain in both xz and xy zero. Thanks in advance

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.05.2014, 07:02 GMT-4
Forgive me that I do not understand but what do you mean with xy and xz? This is an expression that is used in shear deformation right?
Forgive me that I do not understand but what do you mean with xy and xz? This is an expression that is used in shear deformation right?

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.05.2014, 07:05 GMT-4
Well i mean the resultant strain between x and z.
Well i mean the resultant strain between x and z.

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.05.2014, 07:26 GMT-4
So you mean the strain in z and y resulting from a stress in x?

If that is what you want it can be achieved in many ways I think. You can choose a random point in your cube and impose on it a change in displacement proportional to the average volume strain in your cube. So I think you have to think about what the physical reason is for imposing this condition.

I think you would also achieve this condition if you would restrict all boundaries except the two facing towards the positive and negative x direction to movement parallel to their plane. It is also not so difficult to think of a physical reason for such a restriction.
So you mean the strain in z and y resulting from a stress in x? If that is what you want it can be achieved in many ways I think. You can choose a random point in your cube and impose on it a change in displacement proportional to the average volume strain in your cube. So I think you have to think about what the physical reason is for imposing this condition. I think you would also achieve this condition if you would restrict all boundaries except the two facing towards the positive and negative x direction to movement parallel to their plane. It is also not so difficult to think of a physical reason for such a restriction.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.