Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying a pressure boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am having an issue with modeling blood flow through an artery. There is an example in the forum, but it is not helping me. I have two rectangular domains that share a side in 2D axisymmetric mode. One represents the blood flow, modeled in the laminar flow module, and one represents the artery wall, modeled in the solid mechanics module. I can get laminar flow through one domain, but I want to apply the pressure generated by the laminar flow to the wall of the artery (the shared side of the rectangles). I have tried inputting the variable spf.T_stressz, p and spf.Fr into the boundary load of the solid mechanics module, but I am still getting no pressure for my results.

I have also fixed the outside of the artery so that it can't move, but the interior wall of the artery can be moved if the pressure is large enough. I think I can just set it as a moving wall to achieve that effect.

Best,

-Will

1 Reply Last Post 14.06.2014, 02:26 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello William Hoggatt

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.06.2014, 02:26 GMT-4
hi,

We have been trying this model in our lab. Unfortunately, we are also facing the same problem.
I have done exactly the same thing which you have mentioned. We gave a pulsating pressure input to the inlet of the laminar flow. We were expecting a pressure wave propagation along the arterial walls. We could see a displacement in the arterial wall due to the pulsating pressure. Unfortunately, we were unable to see the wave propagation ( or in other words the speed of wave propagation was infinity). In a nutshell, we are not able to model arterial compliance properly. The wall is acting like a perfect rigid body.

I hope you might have seen this model.
www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/WWW/faculty/plawsky/Comsol%20Modules/ArteryFlat/ArteryFlat.html

Did you make any progress in this topic ?

Regards,
hi, We have been trying this model in our lab. Unfortunately, we are also facing the same problem. I have done exactly the same thing which you have mentioned. We gave a pulsating pressure input to the inlet of the laminar flow. We were expecting a pressure wave propagation along the arterial walls. We could see a displacement in the arterial wall due to the pulsating pressure. Unfortunately, we were unable to see the wave propagation ( or in other words the speed of wave propagation was infinity). In a nutshell, we are not able to model arterial compliance properly. The wall is acting like a perfect rigid body. I hope you might have seen this model. http://www.rpi.edu/dept/chem-eng/WWW/faculty/plawsky/Comsol%20Modules/ArteryFlat/ArteryFlat.html Did you make any progress in this topic ? Regards,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.