Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Hexagonal Periodic Array

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,
I am trying to built a model on 2D Hexagonal Periodic Array with periodicity in the xy-plane. For that I have defined a 3D hexagonal unit cell with the top and bottom hexagonal faces as the excitation and destination ports respectively. For the remaining 6 rectangular faces I define 3 (2 faces each) periodic conditions on the opposite faces. A plane wave is incident along the z direction( presently normal to the xy plane but later would like to change for different incident angles) with E polarized along the x-direction.

First of all is the unit cell definition along with the periodic condition application sides are correct?
Secondly how do I use Floquet Periodicity with correct Kf definitions? Will it be similar to plasmonic wire grating case where array periodicity and Floquet kf are parallel which is not in my case ?

A pdf showing the model geomerty along with the periodic Boundary conditions is attached.

I would be really grateful if you guys help me out.

1 Reply Last Post 07.09.2014, 13:02 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Johnson Singh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 07.09.2014, 13:02 GMT-4
Hi,
In the plasmonic wire grating problem of RF module, for calculating the diffraction orders, a logic expression ( imag(emw.beta_3)==0) ) term is multiplied to the S parameter. According to the pdf manual, this is done to set the S parameter to zero when the wave is evanescent and to multiply with one
when it is propagating (since the diffraction orders are not propagating for all angles). Now I have a couple of questions.
(i) why use only the strings like 'imag' , 'beta' and not anything else ....... I mean are these the default settings in comsol to mean for a logical expression just like c_const to mean for speed of light?
(ii) If so, can you explain me in little detail or can you provide me some source where can I find the details regarding how to use logic expressions in comsol?
(iii) Do I have to multiply this logical expression every time when I want to calculate diffraction orders... or are there some specific rules?
Hi, In the plasmonic wire grating problem of RF module, for calculating the diffraction orders, a logic expression ( imag(emw.beta_3)==0) ) term is multiplied to the S parameter. According to the pdf manual, this is done to set the S parameter to zero when the wave is evanescent and to multiply with one when it is propagating (since the diffraction orders are not propagating for all angles). Now I have a couple of questions. (i) why use only the strings like 'imag' , 'beta' and not anything else ....... I mean are these the default settings in comsol to mean for a logical expression just like c_const to mean for speed of light? (ii) If so, can you explain me in little detail or can you provide me some source where can I find the details regarding how to use logic expressions in comsol? (iii) Do I have to multiply this logical expression every time when I want to calculate diffraction orders... or are there some specific rules?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.