Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about complex frequencies

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I'm simulating a MEMS resonator using Thermoelasticity and an eigenfrequency study. As might be expected, I'm obtaining complex frequencies due to the damping.

I looked all over the forum and the answers about the meaning of the real and imaginary parts of the frequency are very confusing to me since nobody makes clear for what stands the real part of the frequency.
So, my question is, what means the real part? Is the undamped resonance frequency or the damped resonance frequency?
Is the imaginary part the damping ratio 'zeta', or the damping coefficient 'c' that is used with the critical damping to obtain the damping ratio?

Thanks for the help!

1 Reply Last Post 05.04.2014, 19:46 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.04.2014, 19:46 GMT-4
The real part of the reported frequency is the damped frequency. The ratio of the imaginary to the real part gives the relative damping factor.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
The real part of the reported frequency is the damped frequency. The ratio of the imaginary to the real part gives the relative damping factor. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.