Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

full model of a coil spring?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'd like to model a coil spring, to include changes in diameter due to compression, and longitudinal and torsional modes. Is this a reasonable task for Comsol, or would it be prohibitively complex?

Perhaps it's already been done and there are sample models?

Thanks!

-Andy

3 Replies Last Post 18.03.2014, 22:31 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.03.2014, 14:48 GMT-4
Hi Andrew,

It’s a reasonable task in my opinion. Select physically accurate boundary conditions depending on whether the ends of the coil are allowed to rotate or twist. Also if you compress the spring enough then account for contact.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Andrew, It’s a reasonable task in my opinion. Select physically accurate boundary conditions depending on whether the ends of the coil are allowed to rotate or twist. Also if you compress the spring enough then account for contact. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.03.2014, 15:07 GMT-4
Thanks Nagi.
I presume I would need a moving mesh, since the displacement is greater than the width of one of the helicies?
My force input is from a speaker coil attached to one end of the spring, which would exert force only in the axial direction.
Thanks again,
Andy
Thanks Nagi. I presume I would need a moving mesh, since the displacement is greater than the width of one of the helicies? My force input is from a speaker coil attached to one end of the spring, which would exert force only in the axial direction. Thanks again, Andy

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.03.2014, 22:31 GMT-4
Hi Andy,

No need for a moving mesh. COMSOL uses a Lagrangian framework for structural problems so if the deformations are large the mesh will move “automatically”.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Andy, No need for a moving mesh. COMSOL uses a Lagrangian framework for structural problems so if the deformations are large the mesh will move “automatically”. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.