Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fixed Beam Deflection

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have a circular beam fixed at both ends using "Beam" physics and "Stationary" study. By applying an edge load on the beam I would expect to observe a deflection of the beam. In contrast only the loaded edge of the beam is deflected. It behaves like the beam is not one united material. What could be wrong?

I would be grateful for some help.

4 Replies Last Post 24.03.2014, 10:45 GMT-4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.03.2014, 17:04 GMT-4
If you post your COMSOL model maybe someone from the Forum can take a look and find the problem.
If you post your COMSOL model maybe someone from the Forum can take a look and find the problem.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.03.2014, 16:27 GMT-4
I attach the model if someone could help.
Thanks,
Georgios
I attach the model if someone could help. Thanks, Georgios

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.03.2014, 22:49 GMT-4
Hi,

You are modeling the beam incorrectly. What you have are four straight beams spanning the length and four curved beams at the end. With beams you should only model one “edge” and not explicitly model the circular cross-section. Check the COMSOL documentation for examples and details on using Beams.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi, You are modeling the beam incorrectly. What you have are four straight beams spanning the length and four curved beams at the end. With beams you should only model one “edge” and not explicitly model the circular cross-section. Check the COMSOL documentation for examples and details on using Beams. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.03.2014, 10:45 GMT-4
Thanks for the answer.

I would like to make a composite beam: a circular cross section and above that a cylinder of different material. But if I model only one edge how could I assign the two different materials?

Kindly,
Georgios
Thanks for the answer. I would like to make a composite beam: a circular cross section and above that a cylinder of different material. But if I model only one edge how could I assign the two different materials? Kindly, Georgios

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.