Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Microwave Heating with resonance frequency correction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am designing complex microwave equipment and I need to create a computational way to recompute the new resonance frequency during the microwave heating study.

The material loss factor increases with the temperature, so as a consequence, the resonance frequency changes and I start to loose the efficiency of the microwave applicator.

I found that is not possible to have the emw and the mh models at the same COMSOL.

I was hopping that someone had a similar problem and has an automatic solution for this computation. Maybe using matlab link? The ideally process should be to check the resonance frequency in each time step of the microwave heating model.

I have two approaches for this problem, which unfortanely are manual:

- Compute the microwave heating model until a time instance that you know that you loose the resonance frequency, export the temperature field to a .txt and import in another file with a model emw with the same mesh, make a frequency domain study to recompute the resonance frequency. Go back to the file with the microwave heating model.

- The second approach is to make a second frequency-transient study in the microwave model from the last time instance of the first study (let's call it "t"). Use the parametric study option where the parameter is the frequency, after computation check the resonance frequency. Create a third study and start the computation with the new resonance frenquency.

The problem with these approaches is that it takes too much time and the user must make a lot of manual runs, to determinate when the resonance frequency is lost.

Any ideias?

Kind Regards,

Duarte Albuquerque

0 Replies Last Post 17.02.2014, 13:42 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Duarte Albuquerque

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.