Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Particle Tracing: Change of Charge on Wall hit

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a simulation of a charged particle with mass in an electric field. The particle movement is generated with the subnode electric force.

Where i need so help now is following:
The charge number Z of the particle should change when it hit a wall. Is there a way to perform such "if" condition?

Best regards

3 Replies Last Post 17.11.2016, 13:24 GMT-5
Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.02.2014, 09:05 GMT-5
Hi Arno, you can add an "Auxiliary Dependent Variable" to your model for the charge. In the "Wall" condition you can use the option "Assign new value to auxiliary variable" which allows you to change its value when the particle hits the wall (see attached V4.3b model).

This requires V4.3b or later.

Dan
Hi Arno, you can add an "Auxiliary Dependent Variable" to your model for the charge. In the "Wall" condition you can use the option "Assign new value to auxiliary variable" which allows you to change its value when the particle hits the wall (see attached V4.3b model). This requires V4.3b or later. Dan

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.02.2014, 09:35 GMT-5
Thank you very much!

Best regards
Thank you very much! Best regards

Posted: 8 years ago 17.11.2016, 13:24 GMT-5

Hi Arno, you can add an "Auxiliary Dependent Variable" to your model for the charge. In the "Wall" condition you can use the option "Assign new value to auxiliary variable" which allows you to change its value when the particle hits the wall (see attached V4.3b model).

This requires V4.3b or later.

Dan

Dear Dan,
Is it possible to couple the flow field with the particle tracing? I want to simulate the particle deposition on a wall, and is it also possible to let the uncharged particles to deposit on a wall?
If I use the charged particle tracing module, then how to couple it with the flow field?
Thank you in advance.
Best Regards,
Bill
[QUOTE] Hi Arno, you can add an "Auxiliary Dependent Variable" to your model for the charge. In the "Wall" condition you can use the option "Assign new value to auxiliary variable" which allows you to change its value when the particle hits the wall (see attached V4.3b model). This requires V4.3b or later. Dan [/QUOTE] Dear Dan, Is it possible to couple the flow field with the particle tracing? I want to simulate the particle deposition on a wall, and is it also possible to let the uncharged particles to deposit on a wall? If I use the charged particle tracing module, then how to couple it with the flow field? Thank you in advance. Best Regards, Bill

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.