Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

What is integration order?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hej,

In "subdomain integration variables" and also "objective function" in Optimization Lab, there is a edit field named "integration order". My question is what is this "integration order"?

Thanks a lot.

3 Replies Last Post 24.03.2010, 14:45 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 23.03.2010, 16:47 GMT-4
Hi
My understanding of the "integration order" you find on most "integration" commands (not only in the optimisation) is the order of the polynomial used to fit the point distribution of values you integrated.

The methode of triangles should then be 1st order, a quadratic 2nd etc.

Try it out on a simple linear or quadratic function with only 2-3 elements across.

Ivar
Hi My understanding of the "integration order" you find on most "integration" commands (not only in the optimisation) is the order of the polynomial used to fit the point distribution of values you integrated. The methode of triangles should then be 1st order, a quadratic 2nd etc. Try it out on a simple linear or quadratic function with only 2-3 elements across. Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.03.2010, 05:49 GMT-4

Hej,

Thank you for reply. I am now doing a simulation relating using Optimization Lab to find the best shape of my geometry to get something.Can you recommend me some materials to read or which parts of documentation in comsol helper to refer to? I know there is a optimization user's guide, but it is very general, I can not find the chapters about shape optimization.

Thanks a lot.
Hej, Thank you for reply. I am now doing a simulation relating using Optimization Lab to find the best shape of my geometry to get something.Can you recommend me some materials to read or which parts of documentation in comsol helper to refer to? I know there is a optimization user's guide, but it is very general, I can not find the chapters about shape optimization. Thanks a lot.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.03.2010, 14:45 GMT-4
Hei

As Norvegian I use my local spelling ;)

there are a few examples with adaptive shapes (without the optimisation I belve), at least one about an elbow shape I think in the model library and a couple I believe in the Model gallery.

There is always a lot to learn with COMSOL and everything cannot be put in the doc, but you should learn quickly if you start with simple examples

Have fun
Ivar
Hei As Norvegian I use my local spelling ;) there are a few examples with adaptive shapes (without the optimisation I belve), at least one about an elbow shape I think in the model library and a couple I believe in the Model gallery. There is always a lot to learn with COMSOL and everything cannot be put in the doc, but you should learn quickly if you start with simple examples Have fun Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.