Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

integration of interpolation function

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am simulating a heat transfer problem in 2d. I would like to have my heat source as a function of a new variable (j) which is not a variable in the set of equations. I am importing a interpolation function which is function of j. I would like to know two things how to add this new variable (j), secondly integrate the interpolation function while defining the limits of this variable (j).

When I import data for interpolation I have t as the argument and f(t) as the function for about a 100 values. Now I am going to model coupling and defining a integration operation over the whole domain as

intop1

and am later defining a variable E=intop(f(t)).

And trying to use this variable E in the problem, but it gives me a error. I would like to know how exactly can I have the intop operater for my function in certain limits, since this j is not a variable like x,y and z.

thank you

hasan

3 Replies Last Post 04.12.2016, 15:00 GMT-5
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.12.2013, 08:28 GMT-5
Hello Hasan,
I don't understand your question, but please note that trying to name a variable "j" is not advisable. "j" is a reserved name for COMSOL, see Reference Manual, version 4.4, page 206.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Hasan, I don't understand your question, but please note that trying to name a variable "j" is not advisable. "j" is a reserved name for COMSOL, see Reference Manual, version 4.4, page 206. Best, Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.12.2013, 06:19 GMT-5
Hi Jeff,

Let me be precise about the problem. We have the solar radiation spectrum E which the function of wavelength (lambda). Now let us say this radiation is incident on a surface which responds only to a portion of the spectrum(say lambda1-lambda2)and there is another surface which responds to another portion of the spectrum(lambda3-lambda4).

To model this I use the interpolation function to define the source E which is a function of lambda. (E1-LAMBDA1........................En-LAMDAn). Now I want to apply this function on surface 1 and surface 2. Could you tell me how I can do this because lamda is not a variable like x,y and z on the geometry.

thanks

Hasan
Hi Jeff, Let me be precise about the problem. We have the solar radiation spectrum E which the function of wavelength (lambda). Now let us say this radiation is incident on a surface which responds only to a portion of the spectrum(say lambda1-lambda2)and there is another surface which responds to another portion of the spectrum(lambda3-lambda4). To model this I use the interpolation function to define the source E which is a function of lambda. (E1-LAMBDA1........................En-LAMDAn). Now I want to apply this function on surface 1 and surface 2. Could you tell me how I can do this because lamda is not a variable like x,y and z on the geometry. thanks Hasan

Posted: 8 years ago 04.12.2016, 15:00 GMT-5
Hello Hassan

I wonder did you get your answer ? i am having the same problem over here. I need to integrate to calculate Nusselt Number along the surface but the thermal conductivity is interpolation function and I am not sure how to do this ?? any help ?
Hello Hassan I wonder did you get your answer ? i am having the same problem over here. I need to integrate to calculate Nusselt Number along the surface but the thermal conductivity is interpolation function and I am not sure how to do this ?? any help ?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.