Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer in porous media and conjugate heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,
I'm new to Comsol and I'm trying to couple the heat transfer in porous media with the conjugate heat transfer (solid + water in laminar flow). But i have a lots of problems.
I would model the heat transfer and the laminar flow in a pipe full of water which is buried in soil.
Can I combine the heat transfer in porous media with the conjugate heat transfer physics?
Thanks
Sara

10 Replies Last Post 09.07.2015, 22:55 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.12.2013, 03:31 GMT-5
Hi Sara,

if I understand well you are using 2 different physics.
If you want to combine the heat transfer in both of them first of all you need to use the same variable T.
By default COMSOL usually set T as the temperature variable for the first physic and T2 for the second.

Let me know if it works.
Hi Sara, if I understand well you are using 2 different physics. If you want to combine the heat transfer in both of them first of all you need to use the same variable T. By default COMSOL usually set T as the temperature variable for the first physic and T2 for the second. Let me know if it works.

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.12.2013, 06:26 GMT-5
Hi Marino,
I set T as dependent variable for both physics.
Please find attached my model.
The domain 3 is water, it's characterized by laminar flow and heat transfer, the domains 2 and 4 are the pipe (solid-steel) and now the domains 1 and 5 are a rock (solid granite). I would like to turn them (domains 1-5) in a porous media (soil).
I added the new physics: heat transfer in porous media, I set T as dependent variable. Now I think that my main problem is that I need to remove the boundary condition "thermal insulation" in the boundary 2 and 12 to be able to link the two physics. Do you know how I can do?
My model is very similar to a geothermal system. Do you know any tutorial or any exercise where I can better understand?
Hi Marino, I set T as dependent variable for both physics. Please find attached my model. The domain 3 is water, it's characterized by laminar flow and heat transfer, the domains 2 and 4 are the pipe (solid-steel) and now the domains 1 and 5 are a rock (solid granite). I would like to turn them (domains 1-5) in a porous media (soil). I added the new physics: heat transfer in porous media, I set T as dependent variable. Now I think that my main problem is that I need to remove the boundary condition "thermal insulation" in the boundary 2 and 12 to be able to link the two physics. Do you know how I can do? My model is very similar to a geothermal system. Do you know any tutorial or any exercise where I can better understand?

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.12.2013, 06:51 GMT-5
Please send me the file saved for previous version (4.3) otherwise I can not open it.
Thank you.
--
Marino Miccio
Chemical Engineer
---
Visit the channel www.youtube.com/ScuolaTech
Please send me the file saved for previous version (4.3) otherwise I can not open it. Thank you. -- Marino Miccio Chemical Engineer --- Visit the channel www.youtube.com/ScuolaTech

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.12.2013, 07:23 GMT-5
Please find attached:
Thanks
Please find attached: Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.12.2013, 08:47 GMT-5
I'm sorry but Comsol says that the model was created with a later version.
I can't still open it.

--
Marino Miccio
Chemical Engineer
---
Visit the channel www.youtube.com/ScuolaTech
I'm sorry but Comsol says that the model was created with a later version. I can't still open it. -- Marino Miccio Chemical Engineer --- Visit the channel www.youtube.com/ScuolaTech

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.12.2013, 08:54 GMT-5
Don't worry, I can save only in 4.3b and in 4.4.

Don't worry, I can save only in 4.3b and in 4.4.

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.12.2013, 06:58 GMT-5
Hi Guys,

So did anyone manage to solve this problem? If you have, it will be of great help to describe how you solved it.
Hi Guys, So did anyone manage to solve this problem? If you have, it will be of great help to describe how you solved it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.12.2013, 07:29 GMT-5
The Comsol support was very helpful, they told me I could obtain the same results of the conjugate heat transfer with the manually coupling of a laminar flow/turbulent flow interface with a heat transfer interface, in my case heat transfer interface in porous media.
My error was that i wasn't able to couple the two physics. I solved this problem putting T (dependent variable) as input value for the heat transfer in fluid node, for the solid node and for the laminar flow node. The material properties will vary from point to point depending on the value of the temperature. This is how you can transfer information from the Heat Transfer in Porous media interface to the other physics.
The Comsol support was very helpful, they told me I could obtain the same results of the conjugate heat transfer with the manually coupling of a laminar flow/turbulent flow interface with a heat transfer interface, in my case heat transfer interface in porous media. My error was that i wasn't able to couple the two physics. I solved this problem putting T (dependent variable) as input value for the heat transfer in fluid node, for the solid node and for the laminar flow node. The material properties will vary from point to point depending on the value of the temperature. This is how you can transfer information from the Heat Transfer in Porous media interface to the other physics.

Posted: 9 years ago 26.03.2015, 06:47 GMT-4
Hi Sara,

I don't understand what did you do for fixing the problem. If you still have the file it would be very useful! How does the T vary in your model?
Hi Sara, I don't understand what did you do for fixing the problem. If you still have the file it would be very useful! How does the T vary in your model?

Posted: 9 years ago 09.07.2015, 22:55 GMT-4
hi, can you share your correct modle for us ? thanks!
hi, can you share your correct modle for us ? thanks!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.