Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mixing two water flows

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All

I am trying to visualize/solve a farily simple problem - but I am also a fairly new to COMSOL. I have access to CFD and Heattransfer

The situation is that two water streams of different magintude and temperaure are to be mixed. The result of the analyze should be an average temperature and also a visual indication of how well the two flows are mixed.

I have attaced a picture of the setup. I would like to simulate the flow on the inside of the pipes. The flow enters the from the bottom and the side nozzles and exits from the top.

When looking at the model library and the turtorials is seems that all CDF problems are solve using a solid model which repersents the inverse/cavities of the given free flow area.

Am am not 100% sure that I have tried all options but is seem that I have two options:
1) Make the inverse (a mold) of the pipe setup
2) Buy the pipe flow module

Or am I missing something.

Thanks for you help

Simon

1 Reply Last Post 01.11.2013, 09:59 GMT-4
Morten Siwertsen COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.11.2013, 09:59 GMT-4
Hi Simon,

You can create the interior volume of the pipe using the "Cap Facces" feature in the geometry branch. Right-Click "Geometry" and select "Cap Faces". Select the edges that enclose the openings of the pipe.
www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/

Best regards,
Morten
Hi Simon, You can create the interior volume of the pipe using the "Cap Facces" feature in the geometry branch. Right-Click "Geometry" and select "Cap Faces". Select the edges that enclose the openings of the pipe. http://www.comsol.com/blogs/meshing-cap-off-for-cap-on/ Best regards, Morten

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.