Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

collision in mechanical domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm a new user (phd student at ENS) of COMSOL for using in structural mechanics. My problem is to show as a function of the time the deformation (possibly his break) of a cube made in metal launched with an initial velocity (v = 1m/s) on an another material (plate made of metal or plastic). The ideal will be to show the deformation and possibly the break of the cube and of the target (the another material) as a function of the time.

Imagine a small cube launched on a soft wall and which penetrates this wall...After the collision, the cube is deformed and there is a hole in the wall...

It is a non-linear problem that I would like solve by using "Structural Mechanics".

Is it possible to do it with COMSOL ? A similar model is there already ? Have you help/idea to give me ? In my side, I have already solve a part of the problem by using the software LS-DYNA but I would like now use COMSOL.

This problem is important in the aerospacial domain to study the collision between a satellit and a small meteorit...

Thank you

Claire Dupont

1 Reply Last Post 20.07.2014, 21:17 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Claire Dupont

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago 20.07.2014, 21:17 GMT-4
Hi Claire,

I am simulation a similar model with yours, have you got any answers about how to show the break process using COMSOL? Thanks.

Albert
Hi Claire, I am simulation a similar model with yours, have you got any answers about how to show the break process using COMSOL? Thanks. Albert

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.