Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Magnetic shielding

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

Can someone tell me if I make a magnetic shielding by selecting the boundary's and specify a thickness (ds) and permeability on some wires it would be the same as if I just created a shield in the geometries and specified the material, thickness and permeability?

I've tried to make magnetic shielding on the parallel wires model there is to find in the model library. When I give the shielding a thickness and permeability the shielding doesn't show any clear effect on the result when I measure the magnetic field, but if I make a "shield" around the wires using the geometries and give it the same thickness and permeability it is very effective. I don't really understand what I'm missing, maybe my physic isn't good enough, but hope you can help me! :)

5 Replies Last Post 16.09.2013, 08:03 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.09.2013, 05:34 GMT-4

Hello,

Can someone tell me if I make a magnetic shielding by selecting the boundary's and specify a thickness (ds) and permeability on some wires it would be the same as if I just created a shield in the geometries and specified the material, thickness and permeability?

I've tried to make magnetic shielding on the parallel wires model there is to find in the model library. When I give the shielding a thickness and permeability the shielding doesn't show any clear effect on the result when I measure the magnetic field, but if I make a "shield" around the wires using the geometries and give it the same thickness and permeability it is very effective. I don't really understand what I'm missing, maybe my physic isn't good enough, but hope you can help me! :)

Does you mean the difference between "magnetic shielding" boundary conditions and the real 3d geometry of a magnetic shield with specified permeability?
I am also puzzled with this question, especially how to correctly use the "magnetic shielding" boundary conditions feature, and it seems that there is no examples included that feature!
[QUOTE] Hello, Can someone tell me if I make a magnetic shielding by selecting the boundary's and specify a thickness (ds) and permeability on some wires it would be the same as if I just created a shield in the geometries and specified the material, thickness and permeability? I've tried to make magnetic shielding on the parallel wires model there is to find in the model library. When I give the shielding a thickness and permeability the shielding doesn't show any clear effect on the result when I measure the magnetic field, but if I make a "shield" around the wires using the geometries and give it the same thickness and permeability it is very effective. I don't really understand what I'm missing, maybe my physic isn't good enough, but hope you can help me! :) [/QUOTE] Does you mean the difference between "magnetic shielding" boundary conditions and the real 3d geometry of a magnetic shield with specified permeability? I am also puzzled with this question, especially how to correctly use the "magnetic shielding" boundary conditions feature, and it seems that there is no examples included that feature!

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.09.2013, 05:52 GMT-4
Exactly, I haven't been able to find anything useful either. Maybe I didn't made my self clear enough but what I meant was that if I use the Magnetic Shielding under Magnetic field I don't get the same result as when I create the shield in the geometries and specify a material with the same specifications as the magnetic shield.
Exactly, I haven't been able to find anything useful either. Maybe I didn't made my self clear enough but what I meant was that if I use the Magnetic Shielding under Magnetic field I don't get the same result as when I create the shield in the geometries and specify a material with the same specifications as the magnetic shield.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.09.2013, 05:54 GMT-4
My simulation is at the moment still in 2D.
My simulation is at the moment still in 2D.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.09.2013, 06:37 GMT-4
I'm also a little insecure if the magnetic shield is automatically grounded, but I don't think so. Anyways I don't know how I can specify the potential of the shielding.
I'm also a little insecure if the magnetic shield is automatically grounded, but I don't think so. Anyways I don't know how I can specify the potential of the shielding.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.09.2013, 08:03 GMT-4

Sorry for my Ignorance, there is a model used the magnetic shielding boundary condition in COMSOL, that is the "submarine" model, you may see this example!
[QUOTE] I'm also a little insecure if the magnetic shield is automatically grounded, but I don't think so. Anyways I don't know how I can specify the potential of the shielding. [/QUOTE] Sorry for my Ignorance, there is a model used the magnetic shielding boundary condition in COMSOL, that is the "submarine" model, you may see this example!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.