Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Joule heating on thin films

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!

I am struggling since quiet some time with a problem in joule heating in thin films. I have a resistor on a microscope glass slide and I am able to simulate Joule heating on the glass slide. I used the Electric current, Shell and the Heat transfer in solids module. The resistor lines are 50 micrometers wide and 100nm thick (Shell thickness parameter). I used the "Heating Circuit" model (www.comsol.com/model/heating-circuit-465) as an example, ignoring the thermal stress aspects since I am not interested in them.

I want now to simulate the heating of another glass slide placed on top of the heating element (hence partially covering it). The problem now is that the boundary condition "Boundary heat source" that I applied to the circuit is shown as "not applicable" most likely because the second glass slide is covering it. (see the attached file).

Does someone have an idea how to fix this? Maybe the approach I am using is not the right one, if that's the case please let me know.

Many thanks.

Julien

2 Replies Last Post 11.09.2013, 09:38 GMT-4
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.09.2013, 07:37 GMT-4
Dear Julien,

the boundary heat source is a feature that can also be applied to internal boundaries.
You can check that out with a very simple model, if you like.
So this is not the culprit - maybe some other setting in your model is wrong.

I f you think we should have a look at your model, feel free to submit it to support@comsol.com

Best regards from Technopark Zurich

Sven Friedel
Dear Julien, the boundary heat source is a feature that can also be applied to internal boundaries. You can check that out with a very simple model, if you like. So this is not the culprit - maybe some other setting in your model is wrong. I f you think we should have a look at your model, feel free to submit it to support@comsol.com Best regards from Technopark Zurich Sven Friedel

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.09.2013, 09:38 GMT-4
Hi Sven, thanks a lot for your answer.

I tried a much simpler model, and I have the same problem. Could you indicate me where in the User's guide I could find informations about that?

To be more specific:
When I build the rectangle entity on top of the squared entity, I cannot use the "Heat source boundary" or the "highly conductive layer" conditions on the interior boundary highlighted in the attached snapshot.

The interior boundary is not extruded, it is only a drawing on the work plane (i.e. it doesn't go through the whole squared structure).

When there is nothing on top, no problems, it works.

Many thanks.

Julien
Hi Sven, thanks a lot for your answer. I tried a much simpler model, and I have the same problem. Could you indicate me where in the User's guide I could find informations about that? To be more specific: When I build the rectangle entity on top of the squared entity, I cannot use the "Heat source boundary" or the "highly conductive layer" conditions on the interior boundary highlighted in the attached snapshot. The interior boundary is not extruded, it is only a drawing on the work plane (i.e. it doesn't go through the whole squared structure). When there is nothing on top, no problems, it works. Many thanks. Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.