Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid Structure Interaction -- Convergence Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working with the FSI module and I am trying to model an oscillating plate in an infinite expanse of fluid. I have successfully used the "sliding wall" boundary condition to do this, but when I instead make a solid plate in the geometry and prescribe an oscillating motion I get convergence problems (solver diverges after about 2-3 oscillations).

The reason I need the geometric model to work is because I plan on adding more complexity to the oscillating shape (namely rigid posts) but I can't hope to do that until I get the simplest case of the geometry to behave well first.

I have a feeling that the solver is taking large time steps at the beginning which is creating some error that is then propagating and causing the model to diverge. Is there anything I can change in the solver? I have tried modifying the default FSI solver type from "constant (Newtonian)" to "Automatic (Newtonian)" which seemed to delay the divergence some, but not prevent it entirely.

Attached is the project file and an image of my solver error plot, any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Trevor

mph: www.fileswap.com/dl/ysSCvetUIT/Posts_Oscillating_flat_plate_Model2.mph.html

0 Replies Last Post 09.07.2013, 10:16 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Trevor LaMountain

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.