Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assigning a sinusoidal electric potential to a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am relatively new to COMSOL and I am building a transformer model for use in researching different hysteresis losses and associated heat energy with using different core materials. I have built a geometric model of the device. I am trying to assign an electric potential to one end of the primary winding on the transformer (the other end will be ground). I can give it a DC potential, but I want to assign a sinusoidal waveform to the voltage across the primary winding. How can I do this?

I included the Electric Currents physics engine and I defined a waveform for the primary coil voltage, but that is all the further I have gotten. I feel like if I could just define the "Equation" setting in the Electric Potential phenomenon under the "Electric Currents" physics, it would allow me to specify a sine wave potential.

I would really appreciate any input.

5 Replies Last Post 13.05.2013, 11:41 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.05.2013, 10:18 GMT-4
I can help you if you are working in the time domain?

R
I can help you if you are working in the time domain? R

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.05.2013, 10:46 GMT-4
Yes, I am working in the time domain.
Yes, I am working in the time domain.

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.05.2013, 11:06 GMT-4
This example I created should tell you how to do it.

The model is acoustic so you may not be able to use it.

But I choose a point or boundary and in the 'Pressure' I type...

5*sin(2*pi*f0_air*t)*(t<=2*t_pulse)

5 is the magnitude

fo_air is the frequency of the oscilation (Hz)

t is the Comsol variable for time

and

t_pulse is the duration of the cycle (1/frequency)

Just make sure that your time steps are sufficiently small to model a given frequency. I find that a CFL of 0.05 is good.

Let us know if you dont know what the above means.
This example I created should tell you how to do it. The model is acoustic so you may not be able to use it. But I choose a point or boundary and in the 'Pressure' I type... 5*sin(2*pi*f0_air*t)*(t

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.05.2013, 11:37 GMT-4
Yes, what does CFL refer to?

What is the purpose of specifying the time step?

As a COMSOL variable, 't' is already defined?
Yes, what does CFL refer to? What is the purpose of specifying the time step? As a COMSOL variable, 't' is already defined?

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.05.2013, 11:41 GMT-4
I dont have time to go through time stepping in FEA for you. This will be covered in most FEA books that deal with dynamics or explicit solvers.

I suggest you do the Gaussian explosion example in Comsol. This will teach you about time stepping and CFL condition.

good luck
I dont have time to go through time stepping in FEA for you. This will be covered in most FEA books that deal with dynamics or explicit solvers. I suggest you do the Gaussian explosion example in Comsol. This will teach you about time stepping and CFL condition. good luck

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.