Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ECT sensitivity distribution maps

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am using Comsol ver 3.5a Electrostatics module to design my 12 electrode electrical capacitance sensor in 2D. Now i would like to generate a sensitivity map for this ECT sensor but before that would like to transform my 2D model to 3D. So my first question is that how can i transform my 2D model to 3D?
Then after that, how 3D sensitivity distribution (map) could be obtained using COMSOL?
Sensitivity distribution is essentially a map of the sensor response to a short test probe of high permittivity material in a low permittivity background as it located at different x, y and z positions inside the sensor. In principle, the sensitivity distributions can be obtained by physical measurement or by FE analysis. The 3D sensitivity distribution of electrode pair ij,Sij(k) (the subscript i and subscript j indicate that the measurement electrode i and j are the excitation and the
detection electrodes.

Please help me.

Thanks.

4 Replies Last Post 07.05.2013, 00:36 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.05.2013, 11:50 GMT-4
Hi

be aware you need quite som eRAM and time to solve when yuo go from 2D to 3D ;)
Have you tried to extrude or revolve your 2D (respectively 2D-axi) geometry (I belive to remember that existing already in 3.5, common now in V4)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi be aware you need quite som eRAM and time to solve when yuo go from 2D to 3D ;) Have you tried to extrude or revolve your 2D (respectively 2D-axi) geometry (I belive to remember that existing already in 3.5, common now in V4) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.05.2013, 23:45 GMT-4
Hi,

Yes, I have tried to extrude 2D model to 3D and it does but i dont know what distance value i should choose in Extrude. As I was using 2e-6 but it only shows the top view in 3D, what value i need to key in to observe the whole sensor ?

Thanks for your co-operation.

Regards,

Areeba
Hi, Yes, I have tried to extrude 2D model to 3D and it does but i dont know what distance value i should choose in Extrude. As I was using 2e-6 but it only shows the top view in 3D, what value i need to key in to observe the whole sensor ? Thanks for your co-operation. Regards, Areeba

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.05.2013, 00:36 GMT-4
And also I would like to know that how could I obtain Sensitivity distribution maps for 12 electrode-electrical capacitance tomography sensor that is filled with air,water and oil.
Can COMSOL be used to obtain the sensitivity maps for ECT in 3D ?
And also I would like to know that how could I obtain Sensitivity distribution maps for 12 electrode-electrical capacitance tomography sensor that is filled with air,water and oil. Can COMSOL be used to obtain the sensitivity maps for ECT in 3D ?

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.05.2013, 00:36 GMT-4
And also I would like to know that how could I obtain Sensitivity distribution maps for 12 electrode-electrical capacitance tomography sensor that is filled with air,water and oil.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.