Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electrical potentials

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I´m analyzing the distribution of electrical potentials through different geometries with varying conductivities. An active electrode is firing with 1V under quasi-static conditions. To analyse the behaviour I modeled a big sphere which also contains the ground electrode and encloses the 'structure of interest'.
Now I want to manually define that the electrical potential on the big sphere should be 0, or how can I define Ve in a certain distance??

Hope someone can help!

Best, Manfred

2 Replies Last Post 30.04.2013, 04:19 GMT-4
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 24.04.2013, 15:04 GMT-4

Manfred,

you can apply a ground or electric potential BC to the sphere. It is unclear what you mean with 'Ve in a certain distance'?

Cheers
Edgar
--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Manfred, you can apply a ground or electric potential BC to the sphere. It is unclear what you mean with 'Ve in a certain distance'? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.04.2013, 04:19 GMT-4
Thanks a lot Edgar,
I simply applied the ground potential on the spheric wall. However, a new question came up:
I changed the sphere to a cuboid setting it as ground. Is it possible in COMSOL to virtually prolong one side surface to infinite setting the potential to 0?

Cheers, Manfred
Thanks a lot Edgar, I simply applied the ground potential on the spheric wall. However, a new question came up: I changed the sphere to a cuboid setting it as ground. Is it possible in COMSOL to virtually prolong one side surface to infinite setting the potential to 0? Cheers, Manfred

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.