Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

dispalcement calculation???

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,
i am designing a pressure sensor......i have got displacement of 0.28nm for applied pressure say 10000 pa...how can i know whether it's correct or not... how are pressure n displacement related to each other, i will be thankful to you if you could tell me how to calculate....

4 Replies Last Post 15.04.2013, 11:55 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.04.2013, 08:37 GMT-4
Hi

you should always check your results, the easiest is to say you have a pressure P0 applied and than a membrane (circular flat one) of radius Radius and total thickness H gives a deflection (at beam centre = neutral line of , (cf wiki) for a clamped end:

Dz(r) = -P0/(64*D)*(Radius^2-r^2)^2

Dth(r) = P0*r/(16*D)*(Radius^2-r^2)

where plate constant D = H^3*E0/(12*(1-nu0^2)) and E0 the Young modulus and nu0 the Poisson coefficient

and Dth(r) is the rotation of the plate, in COMSOL it's expressed as -0.5*solid.curlUPHI

You will hardly see the differences ;)
My model is 4.3a
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you should always check your results, the easiest is to say you have a pressure P0 applied and than a membrane (circular flat one) of radius Radius and total thickness H gives a deflection (at beam centre = neutral line of , (cf wiki) for a clamped end: Dz(r) = -P0/(64*D)*(Radius^2-r^2)^2 Dth(r) = P0*r/(16*D)*(Radius^2-r^2) where plate constant D = H^3*E0/(12*(1-nu0^2)) and E0 the Young modulus and nu0 the Poisson coefficient and Dth(r) is the rotation of the plate, in COMSOL it's expressed as -0.5*solid.curlUPHI You will hardly see the differences ;) My model is 4.3a -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.04.2013, 09:04 GMT-4
Thank u fr the reply...but i did not understand what 'Dz(r)' and ' r ' mean in the relation, could you be more precise on that..actully i am designing a nanotube sensor of length 6 um, radius of 1 um and thickness of 50 nm...i have also attached snapshot of nanotube.
Thank u fr the reply...but i did not understand what 'Dz(r)' and ' r ' mean in the relation, could you be more precise on that..actully i am designing a nanotube sensor of length 6 um, radius of 1 um and thickness of 50 nm...i have also attached snapshot of nanotube.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.04.2013, 09:42 GMT-4
Hi

Dz(r) is the Z displacement asa function of r, the same for Th the rotation along the 2D-axi PHI variable, check your doc Plate physics doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Dz(r) is the Z displacement asa function of r, the same for Th the rotation along the 2D-axi PHI variable, check your doc Plate physics doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.04.2013, 11:55 GMT-4
hi,
still i am in confusion, what should i put for ' r ' in the first equation??....why negative sign in first equation?? i am applying pressure onto one of the boundaries of nanotube in x -axis direction.
hi, still i am in confusion, what should i put for ' r ' in the first equation??....why negative sign in first equation?? i am applying pressure onto one of the boundaries of nanotube in x -axis direction.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.