Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error - Failed to evaluate variable jacobian

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am currently working with the batteries and fuel cells module and I am attempting to create a model of a micro-scale PEM fuel cell. Right now I am starting by just trying to solve a free and porous media flow physics to begin with, but I am getting an error that says:
"Failed to evaluate variable Jacobian
-Variable : U_in_Anode
-Geometry: 1
-Boundary: 5"

Block 5 is the anode chamber of the cell, and U_in_Anode is the volumetric flow rate of the anolyte. What is likely to be the error in this, and how can a fix it?

Thank you in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 30.03.2013, 17:19 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.03.2013, 17:19 GMT-4
I forgot to note, this fuel cell does not use gas diffusion electrodes. It is a microbial fuel cell, so all fluids run through it are in a liquid state. I will be approximating values for current production later, right now I just need to find out how the fluid flows through the cell chambers and electrodes.
I forgot to note, this fuel cell does not use gas diffusion electrodes. It is a microbial fuel cell, so all fluids run through it are in a liquid state. I will be approximating values for current production later, right now I just need to find out how the fluid flows through the cell chambers and electrodes.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.