Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to apply polarized E-field?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

My question is simply "how to apply polarized E-field to z-axis?"
I mean the incident wave should be polarized Ex or Ey.

p.s how can i fix below problem?

Failed to find a solution.
Singular matrix.

For mesh-case 0 there are 1 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod1.emw.S1x.
at coordinates: (0,0,0), ...
and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix).
Returned solution is not converged.

1 Reply Last Post 12.03.2013, 10:24 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.03.2013, 10:24 GMT-4
Hello,

If you want to polarize light in z axis, and incident wave in x or y direction, you should write this in scattered field:

0 x

0 y

E0*exp(-j*emw.k0*x) z

This was case when you have incident plane wave in x direction, z polarized (so k vector is in x direction, electric field is in z direction).

Second case:

0 x

0 y

E0*exp(-j*emw.k0*y) z

This was case when you have incident plane wave in y direction, z polarized (so k vector is in y direction, electric field is in z direction).

Regards
Hello, If you want to polarize light in z axis, and incident wave in x or y direction, you should write this in scattered field: 0 x 0 y E0*exp(-j*emw.k0*x) z This was case when you have incident plane wave in x direction, z polarized (so k vector is in x direction, electric field is in z direction). Second case: 0 x 0 y E0*exp(-j*emw.k0*y) z This was case when you have incident plane wave in y direction, z polarized (so k vector is in y direction, electric field is in z direction). Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.